Sunday, January 31, 2010

Books and Movies from January

Do you ever find yourself reading a whole bunch of books at once? I am usually reading at least two books at once and listening to a book on CD in the car. I am comfortable with reading two books at once and listening to one. But lately, the pile of books I am taking with me to bed at night has become ridiculous. There's not enough room for me, my husband, the dog, AND my pile of books!

I'm reading three books as "school-prep." I try to read the novels that I assign to my children so that we can talk about them and, sometimes, so I can write down reading comprehension questions for them. So, I'm reading "Calendar Mysteries: January Joker" by Ron Roy for my youngest, "The Sea of Monsters" by Rick Riordan for my middle child, and "The Wanderings of Odysseus, the Story of the Odyssey" by Rosemary Sutcliff for my oldest. I am enjoying all of them immensely.

I'm also reading three nonfiction books right now, breaking my general rule of reading just one nonfiction book at a time. I'm reading "Google Blogger for Dummies" by Susan Gunelius, "Why Gender Matters" by Leonard Sax, and "College Prep Homeschooling" by David and Chandra Byers.

Lastly, I'm reading two fiction books, "A Highlander Christmas" by Janet Chapman and "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. While I am fascinated by "Fahrenheit 451," I can't read too much of it in one sitting - it's just too depressing.

Hopefully, I will finish a number of these books soon and get back to my one fiction, one nonfiction, one book on CD rule for my reading life!

So, what did I finish reading in January?
  • Only With a Highlander by Janet Chapman ****
  • Secrets of a Highlander by Janet Chapman ****
  • Get It Scrapped by Debbie Hodge ***
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke ****

I have to admit that I watched all of the movies this month while folding laundry. I only managed to walk this month on our treadmill less than 10 times. January was just such an incredibly busy month for me. Hopefully, I'll do better in February with walking.

  • Terminator Salvation ***
  • The Princess: A Modern Fairy Tale **
  • State of Play ****
  • Ghosts of Girlfriends Past ***
  • Post Grad ***
  • The Ugly Truth ****
Lastly, I was quite thrilled when my local library contacted me to let me know that my prize was waiting for me at the library for completing the 50 Book Challenge last year. I received a lovely commemorative coffee mug! So, urged on by my great gift, I signed up for the 2010 50 Book Challenge. I should have no problem meeting a 50 book goal, if I just finish some of the books that I am reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment