Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Princess and the Frog - Movie Review

Recently I took my children and my daughter's friend to see "The Princess and the Frog." I had fairly low to medium expectations for this film - I was hoping to be mildly entertained at best. I was far more than pleasantly surprised! This film left me feeling good all day. My daughter, her friend, and I all cried during the movie. I actually almost starting cheering after one particularly good musical number! I was smiling so hard when I left the movie theater, my face hurt! All of my children and my daughter's friend adored the movie as well. The only one who didn't gush over and over that the movie was great was my 11 year old son - perhaps there was a bit too much romance for him.

This film truly captured the old-fashioned Disney magic. For a short time, I was transported back to when I was a little girl and wanted to be a princess. While the basic idea of the fairy tale, The Princess and the Frog, was incorporated into the movie, the movie was wildly different from the original tale.

The movie is set in New Orleans and the Bayou, with lots of colorful characters. The music was a delightful blend of blues and jazz - I really did want to stand up and clap after one of the musical numbers!

My daughter particularly appreciated that the female lead was a very stong character. I liked her, too. She was hard-working, considerate of others, goal-oriented, and lovely. She is not waiting for a prince to rescue her - she is making choices throughout the movie to lead her to her goals.

The ending was also highly satisfying. While the movie does have a very happy ending, I won't give away the details in this movie review. "The Princess and the Frog" was definitely a keeper - I'll be looking for the movie on DVD to add to our personal collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment