Monday, January 25, 2010

Swimming Bears Birthday Cake

Auntie Kim and Amber pose for a picture after Amber blew out her candles on her birthday cake.
On Saturday we had Amber's family birthday party. I adore making cakes but have not made as many as I used to in the past few years. We have been purchasing birthday cakes either at Dairy Queen or the local bakery. For my daughter's birthday, I decided that I would carve out the time to make a special cake. She is a competitive swimmer who is incredibly dedicated to her sport so I thought a swimming-themed cake would be perfect. So, I spent a bit of time on the internet looking for swimming-themed cakes. After a trip to our local cake-decorating shop to purchase some decorator's gel, I was ready to make my daughter's birthday cake. I was so pleased with the finished cake!

I used clear decorator's gel that I tinted blue for the pool. I had never worked with decorator's gel before and it was quite easy to use. I also added a light dusting of edible confetti to the pool.I used Teddy Grahams for the swimmers and sun-bathers. The little circle floats are Gummy Life-Savers and the blankets are Fruit by the Foot.I even made a little diving board. My daughter piped the swimsuits on the Teddy Grahams.The best part, though, was that the cake was really yummy! The cake was a Funfetti cake with a vanilla pudding center.

No comments:

Post a Comment