Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Letting Go of Curriculum Guilt

I’ve been homeschooling for over seven years now and over that period of time I have managed to let go of the curriculum guilt that I used to experience. What is curriculum guilt?

Well, I think curriculum guilt takes two forms:

  • The feeling that you must use a certain curriculum because you spent your hard-earned money on it, regardless of how the curriculum is working for you and your children. This type of curriculum guilt sounds like, “I bought this and I’m going to use it – I don’t want to waste my money!”
  • The feeling that you must use the curriculum exactly as the curriculum provider says it is supposed to be used. This type of curriculum guilt sounds like, “I need to follow the directions exactly or I won’t be using it like I’m supposed to be using it and that is bad.”

I can remember very clearly a time when I let curriculum guilt guide me in how I was teaching my middle child math. He was in first grade at the time and he was a very active seven year old boy. Really, my middle son was incredibly, bouncing-off-the-wall, climbing up the refrigerator active. He was a true ring-tailed tooter......

To read the rest of the article, join me at The Homeschool Classroom where I am writing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment