Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Color in Winter Nature Study

Our nature study this year has been sporadic at best. Having said that, we are doing more nature study than we ever have before so I am encouraged by that fact. Inspired by one of my favorite bloggers at Handbook of Nature Study, we participated in one of the challenges based on the first chapter of the book, Discovering Nature in Winter.

I personally prepared for the nature study by reading the first chapter in Discovering Nature in Winter. I adore this book and wish I had my own copy! I learned quite a bit by reading the first chapter. I didn't know that the sun is actually farther away from the Earth during winter in Ohio than during summer. My children prepared for the nature study during the week by watching some short videos on BrainPop about winter and the seasons. I also chose to read a portion of chapter one in Discovering Nature in Winter to them before our walk. They didn't find it quite as fascinating as I did!

I would like to say that everybody was excited about venturing outside in the snow, but not every member of my family was thrilled about tromping out in the snow. Once outside, though, we all enjoyed the walk, although to varying degrees.

Our mission was simple - we were looking for different colors among all of the white and brown. With sharpened eyes, we found several pretty colors amid the gray skies, white snow, and brown bark.

This is my favorite picture. I think the blue color of the evergreen mixed in with the green is so lovely.
We found some green on a tree trunk...and some red on the branches of this Japanese Maple tree.While it is brown, I thought all the different shades of brown and tan in this picture that I took under some pine trees was quite pretty.
We decided to extend our walk by going down in the woods beside our house.
We all noticed some tan leaves that just didn't let go of the branches during the fall.
And as always happens during nature study, we found a bit of the unexpected. The crusty, icy snow held a number of animal tracks in it. We think this track below is a deer track as we do see deer around our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment