Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review - Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke

A few years ago I discovered a new genre of books that I really enjoy - the "cozy" mystery. One of the delightful aspects of cozy mysteries is that the books are usually centered on a theme and are published in a series. I've read cozy mysteries where the settings are scrapbooking shops, a very small town in the Highlands of Scotland, a home soap-making business, a bakery, and a cookie shop. I've also read an entire series of books where each of the murders takes place during a holiday season and the sleuth is a mom with three children. Cozy mysteries are just that - cozy. Even though a murder does occur in each book, the murdered character is not a central character, or even a sympathetic character. The focus of the book is on solving the crime and on the everyday life of the sleuth.

I have been working my way through a series of books (13 in the series right now) by Joanne Fluke which are all set in a cookie bakery in Minnesota. Hannah Swenson is the main character who runs "The Cookie Jar" and gets involved in solving the murder mysteries which occur in her town. I suggest reading the books in order to see how the relationships develop between the characters. I have been reading the books in order and have particularly enjoyed reading about the developing relationship between Hannah and her sister. While they were not particularly close during childhood, as adults they are getting to know one another and becoming good friends. So far, I have read:
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder

  • Blueberry Muffin Murder

The Hannah Swenson books are filled with memorable characters, not the least of which is her saved-from-the-streets cat, Moishe. Hannah also has two suitors for her attentions, Norman the dentist and Mike the police detective. I am eager to see which one, if either, she ends up with as the series unfolds.

As if the interesting plots, memorable characters, and quaint settings are not enough; sprinkled throughout the books are recipes (usually for cookies)! After reading Blueberry Muffin Murder, I am anxious to try the following recipes which grabbed my interest during the book:

  • Multiple-Choice Bar Cookies
  • Short Stack Cookies
  • Peanut Butter Melts
  • Grilled Cream Cheese Sandwiches

As soon as I finish my current "book for no other reason than pure reading pleasure" I'm going to start on the next Hannah Swenson mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment