Monday, November 8, 2010

"A Little Help with the Classics, Please!"

Reading classic books is considered an important part of a college-prep education. Now that my oldest child is in 8th grade, most of her assigned reading is classic books. While most would agree that classic books are quite important to read, many teens (and adults) struggle with the vocabulary, old-fashioned language, and style of classic books. As well, problems with comprehension and interest level can sap the enjoyment out of reading classic books and make them more difficult than they need to be.

My daughter and I started dabbling in the classics starting in 6th grade and along the way I’ve found many sources for help in understanding, appreciating, and just-plain-old-getting-through the classics......

To read the rest of this article, please join me over at The Homeschool Classroom.  In addition to reading my tips for making classic books a bit easier to comprehend, you can also read some great additional tips in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment