Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Favorite Christmas Books Part 1

I'm definitely in holiday mode here.  My husband brought up our box of Christmas books out of storage last night and I was so excited to look through our Christmas books once again.  After picking only my very favorite Christmas books, I still had a stack of 26 books plus 3 favorites I've reserved from the library.  Now is a great time to put Christmas books on reserve at your local library before they're all checked out for the holiday season.  Here's a list of 9 of my very favorite Christmas picture books. 
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent by Arnold Ytreeide - This first book is not a picture book but the story appeals to all ages.  We read through this book several years ago and I am hoping to read through it again this year over the Advent season.  According to the calendar in the back of the book, Advent begins November 28.  Each section of the story ends with a devotion so it is a perfect family read-aloud for the holiday season. 
  • The 12 Bugs of Christmas: A Pop-Up Christmas Counting Book by David A. Carter - I challenge you to read through this fun, interactive book and not smile!  This book is delightful.  The story works through the 12 days of Christmas song using bugs instead of the traditional items.  "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...A Fruitcake Bug in a Pear Tree." 
  • The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry - I love this book.  I am positive I have never read it without breaking completely down into tears at some point.  If you've never read this one, read it as soon as possible.  The Gift of the Magi is a beautiful book about the power of sacrificial love and the true meaning of Christmas.
  • Who Is Coming To Our House? by Joseph Slate and Ashley Wolff - This book is definitely for younger children but even older children will enjoy the sweet illustrations and the preparations the barnyard animals make for the baby Jesus.
  • There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bell by Lucille Colandro - This is such a fun book.  Based on the same format as the book, "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly," this book takes a holiday twist to the well-known tale.  During our Middle Ages unit, my daughter had fun writing her own version, "There Was A Sad Peasant Who Swallowed A Pheasant."
  • Christmas in the Big Woods (My First Little House Christmas) by Laura Ingalls Wilder - This is an absolutely perfect book to celebrate the joys of a simple old-fashioned Christmas filled with homespun gifts and love.
  • The Night Before Christmas, Illustrated by Douglas Gorsline - This is an OLD book, one saved from my own childhood.  The classic poem by Clement C. Moore is delightfully illustrated in this book. 
  • Thomas' Christmas Delivery - When my boys were younger, they went through a time of several years when they loved everything Thomas the Tank Engine.  My youngest, Duncan, was particularly enthralled with all things Thomas.  This book is a great reminder of those days for me.  Thomas, the hero, saves Christmas in this book for the children in the hospital by delivering presents to them.
  • The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado - Grab a box of tissues and share this with your children.  I think this book would appeal to anybody of any age who still has a soft heart.  OK - I admit it, I'm tearing up just leafing through the book.  The gentle illustrations throughout the book are precious as well.
I'm always interested in other great Christmas books.  If you have any picture books or even novels to suggest, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment