Thursday, November 11, 2010

Favorite Thanksgiving Books

I'm not quite sure why but I'm even more excited than usual about the upcoming holidays this year.  I love October, November, and December! 

When my children were younger, we would always spend at least two weeks focusing on Thanksgiving and the story of the Pilgrims.  One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is the year my daughter dressed up as a pilgrim and my boys dressed up as Native Americans for our special feast.  Now that they're getting a bit older, it seems that the traditions we established when they were younger are even more important.  Among the holiday traditions that my children enjoy, reading their favorite holiday books is at the top of the list.  My teenager has told me many times already, "We HAVE to read A Plump and Perky Turkey."

While "A Plump and Perky Turkey" is far and away our favorite Thanksgiving-themed book, we do have some other books we enjoy reading to celebrate the Thanksgiving season.
  • A Plump and Perky Turkey by Teresa Bateman.  In this delightful tale about the townspeople of Squawk Valley, they learn that turkeys are quite a bit smarter than they imagined and quite hard to catch.  "They couldn't find a turkey for the feast they planned to eat.  It looked like they'd be making do with bowls of shredded wheat."  This book is a definite keeper - you'll want your own copy!   
  • On the Mayflower: Voyage of the Ship's Apprentice & a Passenger Girl by Kate Waters.  I love this book due to the fabulous photographs throughout taken at Plimoth Plantation.  The book is told from the perspective of the apprentice to the master of the Mayflower ship and focuses on the journey on the Mayflower.  "There will be no steering the ship during the storm.  We will drift in the hands of God."  
  • Sarah Morton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl by Kate Waters.  Told from the perspective of a young girl, this wonderful story focuses on the day-to-day life of a girl in Plimoth Plantation.  Every page of this book has great pictures taken at Plimoth Plantation.  "My new father thinks I show a talent for learning!  I am grateful, for in many families girls are not spared from their chores for lessons."  
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy by Kate Waters.  Told from the perspective of a young boy, this story focuses on the day-to-day life of a boy in Plimoth Plantation.  Filled with fabulous pictures, I always feel I've been transported back to Plimoth Plantation and am amazed by how hard the children had to work to help their families.  "I know that Mam will miss my help, but I'd as lief try to do a man's work this day."      
  • Tapenum's Day: A Wampanoag Indian Boy in Pilgrim Times by Kate Waters.  Told from the perspective of a young Native American boy, this book is filled with great pictures.  "I am tired from hunting and fishing and thinking so much today.  The warmth of the fire puts me to sleep."
So, do you have any Thanksgiving-themed books that you like to share with your children every year?  I'd love to hear your suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment