Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tips for a Successful Homeschool Convention

I had a wonderful time at the Mid-West Homeschool Convention last week-end! In many ways, I was quite prepared and that preparation really helped me to meet my goals for the convention. There were some things, though, that I wish I had done differently. So, using my experience of what worked and didn't work well for me, here is a list of tips for a successful homeschool convention.

  • Take time before the conference to choose what speakers you plan to see for each session time, and what vendors you really want to see in the vendor hall. Take time to really plan your goals for the conference. For example, some of my goals were to find an art curriculum that I could use with all three of my children, to purchase a software homeschool planner, and to look at junior high science curriculum.

  • Bring food! By the time I got back to my room the first night, I was SO hungry and I ended up paying a small fortune for room service. I did bring a cooler of drinks - a sandwich and fruit would have been a welcome addition to the water bottles and Diet Cokes!

  • Do not arrive at the conference hotel at the time the conference registration opens! I made this mistake and walked into the hotel and saw a line to check-in of at LEAST 150 people!

  • Investigate different parking options before arriving. I had planned on using the valet parking at the hotel but was not able to even enter the valet parking area because it was so crowded. I ended up parking next to the hotel which was less expensive but I was stressed because I didn't have a back-up plan.

  • Bring enough cash! Both the parking lot and the food stands at the convention accepted only cash.

  • Realize that it is unlikely that you will agree 100% with most of the speakers that you hear. Take away what will work for you and your family.

  • Ask questions at the vendor booths. They are more than happy to help you in any way they can.

  • Dress in layers. Some rooms were freezing, some were comfortable, some areas were warm.

  • Bring a notebook, pens, highlighters, and a large totebag for carrying purchases. Lots of ladies had rolling carts.

Those tips for a successful homeschool convention Work for Me! To see what works for other bloggers, visit Works for Me Wednesday at We are That Family, http://www.wearethatfamily.com/2009/04/wfmw-gift-stockpile.html

No comments:

Post a Comment