Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Are We Doing This Summer?

We are down to just one week and four more days of school here in our homeschool. Then we will be on summer break!

Since homeschoolers determine their own school schedules, the summer break of a homeschooling family may or may not look like the summer break of a family whose children attend a public or private school. As well, among homeschoolers, summer break works differently for different families. Many homeschoolers school year-round, some have a modified schedule, and some take a complete break from formal academics.

My children found out on Sunday that another homeschooler in their Sunday School class did not have a summer break. They were aghast to discover that some homeschoolers school year-round. Their friend was fine with it, though. He told them that homeschooling year-round allows him to have some shorter days throughout the year. My two older children were still not convinced. Since I've often seriously considered schooling year-round, I had to laugh at their reactions.

So, what are we doing over summer break? Well, first of all, our summer break really isn't all that long. After very carefully considering what the new school year holds for us in terms of academics, swimming, and family/holiday events, our 2010-2011 school year will begin on August 2nd. Therefore, we have a mere 8 weeks of summer break. Our summer break will be filled with many activities, many involving a pool.
  • Swim team practice - while my boys will continue with their current practice schedule, my daughter will add three additional morning practices to her practice schedule for a total of 9 practices per week.
  • Swim meets - 4 week-ends are taken with swim meets.
  • USA Sectionals in Indiana - 5 days are taken with USA Sectionals in Indiana for my daughter.
  • VBS - one week will be spent at VBS. My youngest is attending VBS and the rest of us are volunteering. My daughter is hoping to work in the nursery and my middle son is hoping to work in the games section. I just want to do something that doesn't require a lot of thought and planning.
  • Cook-outs and summer parties with extended family - we will be celebrating Duncan's birthday, my mother-in-law's birthday, and my niece's birthday.

In addition to swim team and church activities, all of the children have some school work to do over the summer.

  • My youngest will need to finish Growing With Grammar English 3, practice math facts on Facts First, and read assigned books.
  • My middle son will need to finish Spelling Workout Level D, practice math facts on Facts First, and read assigned books.
  • My daughter will need to finish Pre-Algebra, practice math facts on Facts First, and read assigned books. She will be finishing Lord of the Flies and will be reading Jane Eyre and Call of the Wild over break.

So, what will I be doing over the summer? Well, I have so many goals for the summer that another post will be needed for that discussion. Here are just a few of my big goals for the summer:

  • Take my kids to swim team every day, and often twice a day. Not really a goal but a definite reality of how I will be spending a chunk of my time this summer. I don't mind, I just read, read, read while I wait for them. And, we listen to books on tape on the way there!
  • Finish organizing in my craft room.
  • Do some bulk cooking and get my freezer organized.
  • School prep for the new school year, lots of school prep.
  • Purchase a rug for our school room.
  • Lots of nature hikes.

So, what do you have planned for this summer? If you homeschool, do you homeschool over the summer? Do you have a long list of projects to complete over the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment