Monday, May 24, 2010

Pittsburgh Trip Part 1 - The Zoo

Last Friday, we took an overnight trip to Pittsburgh. With my husband's job and the children's swim schedules, it is quite hard for us to get away for an extended period of time. Short, overnight trips are enjoyable for us all, though. We did so many different activities while we were in Pittsburgh, it felt like we were away from home for much longer. In fact, this post is the first of four posts that I will be posting about our trip to Pittsburgh.

Throughout the zoo, I noticed that somebody had a fairly quirky sense of humour when it came to the signs. As we were in the area of the zoo by the rhinos, I noticed this sign. My daughter and I both found it very funny - good advice, but perhaps a bit out of place. In case the text on the sign isn't clear it reads, "Do not swim in rivers, West African Dwarf Crocodiles are potential dangers."
Baby animals always make observing the animals even more enchanting. We were treated with an adorable baby elephant at the elephant exhibit. The little guy was giving himself a dirt bath.We were thrilled to have the male lion out and about. I can't remember ever visiting a zoo where the lions weren't all asleep in the shade. This lion was moving about and roaring. We could hear the lion's roar for a long time after we left the exhibit. Quite impressive.Duncan is always attracted to maps. He likes to know where he is and where our car is parked whenever we go visit someplace.The Pittsburgh Zoo has a lovely aquarium. We had an amazing time observing an incredibly active octopus! Amber and I posed for a picture on the upper level of the aquarium, and yes, she is noticeably taller than me now.
While in the aquarium, we had one of our funniest moments of the entire trip. This turtle was sitting so perfectly still, my husband and I assumed that it was a plastic turtle. We were standing right next to it and making jokes about the plastic turtle. Then, we noticed that Amber was taking a picture of it. We teased her about taking a picture of a plastic turtle and she looked at us like we were quite stupid and said, "It just blinked its eyes. It's alive - it's not plastic!"
Kevin and I burst out laughing and Kev said he was so glad he didn't touch it or try to pick it up. I chuckled about the turtle incident during the whole trip.
After a long, warmish day at the zoo we tanked up with drinks before starting back on the long walk to our car.

After visiting the zoo, our plans were to go to our hotel, order a pizza, and play some games. My husband, on a completely spontaneous whim suggested we go to Station Square instead. I was a bit thrown off because we had not planned to visit Station Square and I'm a planner. But, I decided to roll with my husband's suggestion and I'm so glad that I did! I'll share our adventure at the Hard Rock Cafe in my next Pittsburgh Trip post.

No comments:

Post a Comment