Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Language Arts - Additional Curriculum Resources

When I posted our curriculum list for the 2010-2011 School Year, I didn't include the Teaching Resources books that I will be using in the twice weekly "Special Language Arts Topics" time with my 4th and 6th grade boys.  The "Special Language Arts Topics" time that I have planned is devoted to learning about lots of different language arts topics that we have discussed over the years in various contexts.  While we have touched on these topics, we haven't focused specfically on them, therefore, I wanted to be sure to do so with my boys as I feel they are all important to better understand and appreciate literature. 

More specifically, the following topics will be covered:
  • Similes
  • Metaphors
  • Onomatopoeia
  • Alliteration
  • Hyperbole
  • Personification
  • Poetry
  • Idioms
  • Literary Elements:  Character, Plot, Setting, Theme
  • Review of various language arts and grammar topics through games.
Creating a time schedule for our school days has helped tremendously to make sure that I actually accomplish everything I want to accomplish.  At first, I didn't think I could fit a "special topics" time into our school day.  I have found that the reality of homeschooling is that I just can't do everything I would like to do with my children.  But, by looking at our schedule closely, I was able to fit in two 30 minute sessions a week to cover additional language arts topics in a concentrated, dedicated fashion.  While two times a week for 30 minutes doesn't seem like much, over the course of 36 weeks, that's 36 hours.  I can cover a lot of material with my children in 36 hours!

So, what am I going to use to help me plan these lessons for my boys?  Most of the books that I will be using are from Scholastic Teaching Resources.  I've collected most of these books over time from PaperBackSwap.

No comments:

Post a Comment