Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ski Hats Completed!

Amber is taking a sewing course this year which I purchased on impulse at the Midwest Homeschool Convention.  Often, my impulse purchases should not have been made but I'm so glad I purchased the Sew and Learn program.  Since my daughter is now a teenager, I wanted to start adding some formal "home economics" courses to her schedule.  The hands-on and practical nature of the sewing course is a perfect complement to her more rigorous, academic courses this year. 
Amber just finished Module 2 and her first sewing project - a ski hat.  She really enjoyed making this project, even though her first attempt was met with some difficulty.  I had never worked with fleece before so I didn't make sure that she cut out the hat so that the stretch in the fleece went from side to side, therefore making it easy to put the hat on.  So, the first hat was too small and I couldn't figure out why.  Amber quickly figured out that the fleece didn't stretch the right way.  Smart girl.  Luckily, she has a younger brother who was eager to get his own ski hat!
Amber was so proud of her finished hat.  She tweaked the pattern a bit, adding more fringes at the top.  She feels this will be the perfect hat to wear to and from swim team this winter.  I think it's adorable and she did a great job with the sewing!
Amber's other brother, Mason, really wants his own ski hat too so Amber is going to stitch one up for him.  He picked out a fleece fabric over the week-end.  With some of the left-over fleece fabric (and some from my stash of fabric), Amber may sew a few more ski hats for Christmas presents for friends.  I think they are just adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment