Friday, June 26, 2009

Itch To Pitch Challenge - The Medicine Cabinet

While I am still plugging away slowly on some larger organizational projects, I wanted to tackle a smaller project so I could have some instant gratification. So, I tackled my medicine cabinet. While there was no INSTANT gratification - it did take about two hours to finish the project, I feel really good about finishing it. The medicine cabinet used to be really organized but the underlying organizational system was no longer working. Why? Well, my children have grown and organizing by adult medicines/child medicines was no longer effective. So, gradually, the medicine cabinet had fallen into disarray.

To organize the medicine cabinet, I completed the following steps:
  • I removed everything from the cabinet and wiped down the shelves.
  • I checked the dates on every single medicine and threw out all of the ones that were out of date.
  • I grouped the medicines into categories and found plastic containers that would work to keep them together.
  • I organized all of the band-aids into baggies based on their size - regular, tiny, extra-large, and knuckle & fingertip.

I am so happy with the results of my efforts! Everything in the medicine cabinet fit into the following categories: First Aid, Band-Aids, Skin Medications, Colds & Flu Medicines, Ear Medicines, General Pain Relievers (Tums, Midol, Tylenol, etc.). Now I can quickly find whatever medicine I need!


If you would like to see how other bloggers are working on organizational challenges, check out the Itch to Pitch Challenge over at The Happy Housewife:

http://thehappyhousewife.com/itch-to-pitch-week-two/

No comments:

Post a Comment