Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Changes in Length, Changes in Dreams

My 12 year old daughter is a serious competitive swimmer. She loves the sport, is a member of a USA swim team, and practices 5 days a week for 2 hours per day. She competes in swim meets at least two week-ends per month. She participates in both the Short Course and Long Course seasons so swimming is a year-round sport for her. She also has (had) REALLY long hair. In fact, A has not had a haircut, other than trimming off dead ends, since she was in kindergarten.

A has always loved her long hair but lately...she decided that competitive swimming and really long hair just don't mix. She decided that she wanted to cut off 10 inches of her hair and donate it to Locks of Love. Everybody was supportive of her decision from her friends to her grandparents to her father (who encouraged her to go even shorter), except for me.

The decision to cut her hair was so practical and it made so much sense given her swimming schedule. But, I couldn't get over the small ache in my heart that knew that cutting her hair meant cutting another part of the little girl in her away. Her dream of having really long hair has given way to a dream that is more important to her - the dream of an athlete.

After encouraging her to really, really, really think about her decision - I finally realized that she was completely confident in her desire to cut her hair. So, I made an appointment with my hairdresser for her. My daughter was SO excited to get her hair cut.

She looks absolutely adorable, and more grown-up than ever! She is thrilled with her decision and I am so happy for her. I think she looks absolutely beautiful with her new haircut. I am also happy that it will be easier for her to manage with her swim schedule. But, there is still a small, sad voice in my heart that didn't want to say goodbye to that part of the little girl in her. There is hardly any little girl left in her - she's even taller than me now! That part of me cries while I write this post.

Thankfully, though, the little girl is being replaced day by day with a wonderful, young lady that I am privileged to know and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment