Monday, May 25, 2009

Hocking Hills Trip

For the past three years, my husband and I have gone away to an Ohio State Park for a long week-end ALONE. ALONE is the key word. While both of us love being with our children and spend tremendous amounts of time with them, we rarely get to spend some time alone - just the two of us. So, every year now we "escape" to a cabin for a few days and just relax, hike, play Scrabble, watch movies, and snuggle. I have been amazed at just how much I love to be with my husband and it makes me feel young again. Someday, our children will leave home and it will just be us again. I'm so glad that we make time to remember that we are still a couple - that he is still my hero and I am still his sweetheart.

Just last week-end we enjoyed an absolutely perfect week-end at Hocking Hills State Park. We stayed in a State Park cabin which was quite basic but clean and quite functional. We were disappointed that we did not have a private fire-pit because we were looking forward to hot dogs over the fire and S'Mores. Other than that, though, the cabin was lovely and we particularly enjoyed the screened-in back porch. The back porch was the setting for two highly competitive Scrabble games. Sadly, I was beaten in both games but I loved playing nonetheless. Long, leisurely Scrabble games rarely find their way into our hectic lives at home.


Hocking Hills is an absolutely beautiful area and has excellent hiking trails. On Friday evening, we hiked the Rock House Trail. In the past, the Rock House may have been home to many unsavory persons like robbers, horse thieves, murderers, and bootleggers. The area surrounding Rock House has been a popular tourist attraction for quite a long time - there used to be a hotel there in the early 1800s. The hike was a bit slippery in spots and I don't particularly like heights, but there were some lovely views.

On Saturday, we went hiking in the morning and covered two trails - the Gorge Trail at Conkle's Hollow and the Ash Cave trail. Conkle's Hollow is a nature preserve and the Gorge Trail is absolutely lovely. Visitors can also hike the rim trail at Conkle's Hollow but I was afraid of hiking at such a height.




One of the aspects of the Gorge Trail that really amazed me was that life was springing out of every possible crevice and crack. Plants were growing right out of the top of rocks. Little fish were living in a tiny creek. Trees were perched precariously on the side of cliffs.

Ash Cave was lovely but the trail was particularly crowded so I didn't enjoy the Ash Cave hike as much as the other trails. I love seeing the waterfall, though.

Another big highlight of our trip was an absolutely delightful meal at Millstone BBQ in Logan. Millstone BBQ is home to Southern Smoked Barbecue and the meal was completely delicious! My husband and I shared the Ribs and Your Choice meal. We had Pulled Pork, K.C. Baby Back Ribs, Pit Baked Beans, Steak Fries, and Homemade Sweet Little Cornmuffins. I love cornmuffins and I have to say that the cornmuffins I had at Millstone BBQ were the best that I have EVER eaten. I just wish I had taken pictures of our meal! The ribs were so good and they just fell off the bones. We will definitely be visiting Millstone BBQ again next year!

All in all, our week-end vacation was perfectly perfect! We just wish we could have stayed longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment