Friday, January 21, 2011

52 Weeks of Organizing - Week 3 - Clearing the Clutter from the Phone Cabinet

This week has been particularly busy with an overnight trip, so I was quite thankful for the ongoing weekly challenge at Org Junkie to motivate me to complete an organizational task.  Without the challenge, I know I wouldn't have tackled an organizational project this week!

This week, I organized a large, vertical cabinet in our kitchen that we use for phone storage, a charging center, and game storage.  While this area was neat and tidy quite a long time ago, it had definitely become an eyesore.  As well, we were finding it increasingly difficult to reach the phone, and to find the correct charger in the tangle of cords.  We also had a stack of new games from Christmas (we love games) and I wanted to store them in this space.  I accidentally cut off the top shelf in the BEFORE picture so there are five shelves in all.
 Much better!  Usually during an organizational project, I remove items that don't belong in the space but I actually removed only a couple of independent thinking games.  We keep them in one location elsewhere in our house.  Even though I added a stack of games to the cabinet, it looks much neater.
Duncan (my youngest boy) found the perfect storage container for our Mexican Train domino trays, score cards, and train hub in our basement storage area.  I moved the phone to the second shelf so it's easier to reach.  I also threw out a charger for a phone we no longer have and wrapped up all of the chargers that we don't use regularly and put them in a basket behind the phone.  The chargers that are used frequently were left out and a put a label on each one.
I gathered all of the smaller games and put them in a big basket and stacked other games beside the large game basket on the third shelf.  I gathered all of the packs of cards (lots of different cards and multiple card decks) and put them in a medium-sized basket.  I stacked more games beside the cards basket.
On the bottom shelf, I stacked the remaining games from the closet and added the new games from Christmas.
To read about what other bloggers organized this week, visit Org Junkie's 52 Weeks of Organizing - Week 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment