Sunday, June 20, 2010

10 Of My Favorite Non-Curriculum Homeschooling Resources

Some of my very favorite homeschooling resources are not curriculum.  Some of the items in the following list were purchased when we began homeschooling over 7 years ago and are still used to this day.  Others are new discoveries that I wish I had discovered years ago.  The following list of my favorite non-curriculum homeschooling resources are not my only favorites but are definitely at the top of my favorites list. 
  1. Draw Write Now Books 1-8
I've never used the Draw Write Now books for handwriting curriculum but I have used them in so many other subjects!  I purchased the complete set our very first year of homeschooling when my oldest child was in 1st grade.  Over the years, they have been used for drawing pictures to accompany history, science, art, and language arts projects.  The books have also been used to make handmade cards, and numerous independent art projects.  These books are just delightful and I consider them to be a very good investment!

     2.  Crayola Twistables Colored Pencils.
These twist-up colored pencils are absolutely wonderful for coloring and drawing.  They never need sharpened and are always ready to go with a nice, rounded tip.  Crayola Twistables are definitely preferred here over crayons or colored pencils.   

     3.  1 1/2" Three-Ring View White Binders
I use these binders so much in our homeschool!  I usually pick them up rather inexpensively in packages of 6 at Sam's Club.  With front and back customizable slide-in front pockets, these binders are perfect for notebooking.  They are also great for holding lapbook project packs, curriculum materials, timelines, year-end portfolios, and art projects.  Really, the uses for these handy binders are endless.  I recommend stocking up!

     4.  Non-Glare Page Protectors
I use these page protectors constantly for notebooking pages, as a temporary lamination for papers that will be used often, and to protect small art projects.  I purchase them in packages of 200 at Sam's Club or Staples.

     5.  Sculpey III

Mason, my middle son, is an avid clay sculptor.  I have kept an assortment of colors available for him at a table permanently set-up in our living room for several years now.  He often sculpts figures to go along with topics in science or history.  For example, we have a whole set of people from the Middle Ages and a full assortment of different kinds of germs from our Germs Unit Study.


My daughter, in particular, likes these file folders for completing lapbook projects.  They do make a very sturdy and large lapbook to which extensions can be easily added if necessary.  These file folder are a bit pricey but I have been able to find them on sale and I use the coupons I receive for returning printer cartridges to Staples as well.

Prestwick House is my favorite publisher for classic books.  Not only are they quite inexpensive, the print is a size that is pleasing to my older eyes.  Even though I have been able to pick up many classic books for free or for pennies at library book sales, paying the extra money for a book with easy-to-read print and extra features is well worth it for me (and my children).  Prestwick House Literary Touchstone Classics contain notes and a glossary at the back which aids in understanding the text.  I just finished reading "Jane Eyre" and the glossary and notes in the back of the book were much appreciated by me!

     8.  Pattern Blocks
Our set of pattern blocks were purchased when my daughter was in first grade, over 7 years ago.  They were used nearly every day by each of my children during the primary years in their math studies and in a thinking skills course.  Even though my children do not use many math manipulatives anymore, we still get our pattern blocks out now and again for conceptual understanding of math problems.  They are also really fun with which to build!
     9.  White Board
I use our white board every single day in our homeschool - I can't imagine teaching without it.  Teaching completely aside, all of the children love to draw on the white board as well. 
     10.  Post-It Notes
Post-It Notes definitely have my vote for one of the best inventions that have come my way during my adult years!  I use Post-It Notes constantly - I find them so very useful.  I use them for jotting down assignment for my son's workboxes, as bookmarks, and to flag important information in books.  I particularly like that they come in all different sizes!  I usually purchase the store brand from Staples and have found that they work just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment