Monday, June 14, 2010

Pokemon Birthday Cake


My youngest turned 9 over the week-end.  To celebrate his birthdy we had a family cook-out complete with a homemade birthday cake.  I LOVE to make cakes but I do find it time consuming so I have to be sure to set aside time to make a cake before a birthday party.  Duncan wanted a Pokemon cake and my middle son, who is 11, helped tremendously with designing the cake.  The cake was simple but turned out really cute and Duncan adored his cake!

I tried something new with this cake.  Instead of making a single line of icing between the cakes, I made a double-stacked line of icing between the cakes.  In a cake-decorating class I took when I first got married about 17 years ago, this line of icing was called a moat.  So, I made my moat double-tall. 

The double-tall icing moat allowed me to add a thick layer of vanilla pudding in between the layers.  Yummy!

My middle son made clay figures out of Sculpey 3 for the cake.  He chose two of my youngest's favorite Pokemon characters, Tangela and Ditto.  Mason also drew the arena for me on a piece of paper and I copied the arena on the top of the cake using gel tinted black.  I piped a star border on the top and bottom and added a sprinkling of edible glitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment