Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Independent Painting

I recently read an article which explained the lack of hands-on projects in a particular curriculum (yes, I've been reading lots of curriculum catalogs lately). In this article, the authors seemed to suggest that children should be doing child-directed hands-on projects rather than teacher/parent directed hands-on projects. My feeling on the matter is that teacher/parent directed hands-on projects encourage child-directed hands-on projects.

For years, we didn't have a formal art curriculum. This year we've been absolutely delighted with Atelier Art. My oldest child was not particularly excited about starting a formal art program. Once we started, though, she discovered that she really liked the art projects - particularly those involving painting.

As a direct result of the techniques that she learned in the art class and the exposure to painting, Amber has discovered that she truly enjoys painting. I can often find her in the basement creating a new painting all on her own. She paints on her own spurred on by teacher/parent directed instruction.
I have been impressed with the time that she has poured into her paintings and the quality of her final creations. Here are a few that she has completed over the past few weeks on her own.
I really like the gold dust powder she incorporated into this painting and the incredible detail of the eye.
The girl on top of the Earth is Amber in her SuperGirl swimsuit. No, we don't suffer with low self-esteem around here!

I love the colors in this Georgia O'Keefe inspired painting!
This painting is unique because of the different materials that were added to the painting. It is actually a picture of my daughter painting a picture of a crab complete with a covered table, watercolor set, and a real paintbrush. The necklace features yarn and a heart-shaped bead.
I can't wait to see more of her independent paintings in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment