Thursday, May 20, 2010

Charlotte's Web - A New Old Book

After my youngest child, Duncan (8) finished his assigned reading in Charlotte's Web for the day he commented to me, "You know, Mom, Charlotte's Web is old but it still seems like it's a little bit new."

I smiled and felt a deep happiness regarding the profound nature of my little one's statement. "Yes, I replied, really good books are like that."

I've been smiling all day every time I think of his innocent but oh so true statement. A classic book speaks to the reader through time and space. Even though Duncan is reading a copy of Charlotte's Web from my own childhood, he is gaining joy from the book just as I did when I was a child. Through space and time, Charlotte's Web is speaking to him as it did to me so long ago.

Charlotte's Web is definitely an old, new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment