Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ham and Bean Soup

I don't post a lot of recipes on my blog simply because I'm no great shakes in the kitchen. Of all the domestic tasks required of me, I struggle the most with my role as kitchen manager. Having said that, I make excellent Ham and Bean Soup.


My recipe is a slight adaptation of the Ham and Bean Soup recipe found in the 1987 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Crockery Cooker Cook Book. While it certainly isn't new anymore, this is my very favorite crock-pot recipe book. I received the book well before I was married and have made many of the simple but satisfying recipes in the book over the years.


The first step in my Ham and Bean Soup recipe is to have a meaty ham bone. One year, my mom gave me the left-over Honey Baked Ham that she had purchased for Christmas. My family gobbled up the ham and I decided to use the bone for Ham and Bean Soup. Yummy!


We don't have too many Honey Baked Hams come into our life because well, they're really pricey. Several years ago, we had a Honey Baked Ham store open just a few miles from our house. We stopped in and asked if they sell ham bones. I figured it was a long shot but I was very pleasantly surprised.

When my husband purchased one for us a few days ago, the price per pound was $2.59 so he paid about $8.00 for the ham bone pictured below.As you can see from the picture, the ham bones are VERY meaty. After cooking all day in the crock-pot, the ham just falls from the bone. The ham can then be chopped up and added to the soup. My whole family loves this meal (except for my youngest) and the cooking soup makes the whole house smell delicious.


If you don't have access to a Honey Baked Ham store, I have had very good success with a ham bone from a ham purchased at the grocery store. My family doesn't enjoy the soup as much if made only with ham hocks.


My favorite way to prepare this recipe is to get it ready in the evening, and then start cooking it on low around 11:00 pm. Then, we have a wonderful soup ready for us at lunchtime and we wake up to yummy smells.


Ham and Bean Soup


1 1/4 cups dry navy beans


3 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks


1/2 cup chopped onion


1 cup chopped carrots


2 tablespoons dried parsley


1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, ground


1/2 teaspoon salt


1/8 teaspoon pepper


5 cups water


ham bone with meat attached


In a 3-quart saucepan bring 3 cups water and beans to boiling. Boil, uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain.


In a large crock-pot, combine potatoes, carrots, onion, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in drained beans and 5 cups water. Place ham bone on top of bean mixture.


Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 10-12 hours.


I sometimes add another cup of water if I get up in the morning and the soup is looking thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment