Monday, February 16, 2009

Curriculum for My Sixth Grader

I have previously posted about the curriculum I am using for my second and fourth grade boys. Lastly, today, I am posting about the curriculum we use with my sixth grade daughter. GASP - did I really say SIXTH grade daughter! High school looms around the corner for her and I often wonder where the time has gone. Will she continue to be homeschooled for high school? Will she enroll in an online public school? Will she actually GO to a high school? BUT, that is another post entirely. Here is the curriculum I currently use with my sixth grade daughter:

*Teaching Textbooks 7
*Growing With Grammar 6
*Happy Scribe Copybooks for Handwriting
*Novels for reading - So far, this school year, A has read a wide variety of books from A Door in the Wall to the complete set of four Maximum Ride books by James Patterson.
*Music Ace Deluxe
*Sequential Spelling
*English from the Roots Up
*A Trail Guide to U.S. Geography
*Unit studies for history, science, and literature topics - right now we are working on a fairy tales/fractured fairy tales unit
*Physical Education - A is a competitive swimmer on a USA swim team. She practices for 2 hours every evening Monday through Friday with swim meets on the week-ends about 2-3 week-ends per month. She loves to swim and spends as much time at the pool as she possibly can.

Looking ahead to next year, I want to add a more structured approach to her reading to introduce her to a wider variety of genres and classics. I plan to use Glencoe Literature Course 2, in addition to selected novels. I also know that she will be starting a foreign language class and I plan to use Rosetta Stone but I'm not sure what language she will be learning yet. I am leaving that up to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment