Monday, February 9, 2009

Curriculum for My Second Grader

I am always so interested to see/hear what other home educators are using in their homeschools for curriculum. After 6 years of homeschooling, I've looked at lots and lots of curriculum and I STILL enjoy it! I've pretty much settled into what kinds of curriculum work well for us, though. Each of my children has grade level (or close to grade level, either above or under) for English, Math, Handwriting, and Reading Comprehension which they do independently. We do Geography, Vocabulary, Spelling, and Unit Studies together. Our Unit Studies cover topics in history, science, and literature.

Here is the curriculum that my second grader is using for the 2008-2009 school year:
Math-U-See Gamma (he finished Beta last semester)

Growing With Grammar 1/2

Happy Scribe Copybooks (he uses the italic printing style)

FOCUS Strategies reading comprehension books Level B (There are 6 books in each grade level, each focusing on a specific skill needed to strengthen reading comprehension.)

Lots and lots of Level 2 readers from the library (He reads at least one each school day.)

Sequential Spelling Book 1

A Trail Guide to U.S. Geography (We are covering a state per week.)

English from the Roots Up

Unit Study - Right now we are doing a short unit on lizards. After we finish that, we are doing Cinderella Stories Around the World/Fractured Fairy Tales.

Physical Education - Karate class twice per week and swimming lessons once per week.

I have already started to begin to think ahead to next school year. So far, I am planning much of the same for my then third grader. He will switch to Teaching Textbooks after finishing Math-U-See Gamma when Teaching Textbooks 4 is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment