Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Respond to Literature With a Comic Strip

My daughter (9th grade) is taking Latin I with a private tutor this year.  Amber and I both adore the tutor (she is a retired teacher), and Latin has become Amber's favorite subject.  In addition to learning the Latin language, Amber is learning about the culture and history of ancient Rome.

Recently she read Famous Men of Rome from Memoria Press.  As an assignment, Amber had to choose her favorite mini-biography and create a comic strip, complete with pictures, about the story.  I thought this was a wonderful literature response idea!

Amber chose to write about the first Christian emperor, Constantine.  I love how she captured the essence of the information about Constantine from the book in comic strip format!  The assignment definitely took time, thought, and creativity.  I especially like Amber's cute little drawings as she so rarely draws anymore.
While Amber created her own template, free comic strip templates are readily available at Donna Young's extremely helpful website.

My younger boys will both be doing book reports this year and I plan to make a comic strip book report one of their assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment