Thursday, March 17, 2011

Helpful Homeschool Hint: Small Rewards for Children

My oldest child went to a private Christian school for kindergarten.  We started homeschooling at the beginning of her first grade year and have homeschooled all of our children ever since.  I spent a lot of time at my daughter's school all those years ago and I particularly noticed how much the children enjoyed the little rewards that were included in their school days.  While small rewards are particularly appreciated by young children, I have found that even my 8th grade daughter still enjoys small rewards.

Knowing the importance of small rewards to motivate and encourage, I look for ways to celebrate and reward my children's accomplishments in school.  I also look for small ways to make their school days more fun and happy.  To be more specific, here are some examples of ways in which I incorporate small rewards into my children's school days.

I've had to replace a few workboxes over the past two years that we've been using them.  Rather than use plain numbers, when a workbox has needed replaced, I have picked out fun numbers that make my boys smile.  
We hang up the spelling cards in our schoolroom for each unit that my children pass in their spelling programs to track and celebrate their progress.
I always keep a box of stickers handy when grading schoolwork.  Stickers are a very inexpensive way to say, "Great Job!"

Using mini books to create a lapbook-style study guide for Biology has been an enjoyable way for my daughter to study.  While simply answering the study guide questions on plain sheets of white paper would have had the same content, the colorful mini books are simply more fun for my scrapbook-loving daughter.  She's so proud of her Biology notebook!
Breaking up the school day into different ways of learning is rewarding and motivating to my children.  During their school day they do a wide variety of educational activities including learning activities on the computer, read-aloud time, video instruction, playing games, workbook activities, and reading.
Even if there are no hands-on activities scheduled for the day, all of my children usually do some type of handicraft during our read-aloud time.
Small rewards during the school day can take many forms.  Surprise donuts in the morning, a hot cup of tea for a tea-loving teenager, or even a small trinket placed in a workbox for excellent work can make a child feel special and encouraged for the school day.

I'm always on the look-out for ways to encourage and motivate my children.  Do you have any small rewards that you incorporate into your school days?  

To read other Helpful Homeschool Hints, visit Angie at Many Little Blessings.    

No comments:

Post a Comment