Friday, September 24, 2010

Week in Review - Shabtis, Sewing Bunnies, and A Soldier

I am posting our Week in Review early this week because we are taking a day off this Friday.  My Aunt Ruby, Uncle Ray, Aunt Ada, and Uncle Ronald are coming in from West Virginia unexpectedly to spend the day with us today!  I am so excited to see all of them and spend some time with them.  All of us, and my parents, will be going out to lunch together.  I'm happy that we'll get to spend some time with my extended family!

This week had another family surprise as well!  My wonderful nephew, Nick, who is in the army was in town just for a few days unexpectedly.  We hadn't seen him in over a year - he couldn't believe how much my children have grown!  We took half a day off school on Wednesday so that we could share a late lunch and some quality time with Nick.  Hopefully, he'll be able to come home for Christmas, but there are no guarantees.  We are so proud of Nick and our prayers are with him as he returns to Texas to continue serving our country.
Nick, Amber, Mason, and Duncan pose with Grandma Judy.

In addition to the blessings of family this week, our family is working through our yearly physical exams.  Amber had her well-child visit last week, Duncan had his this week, and Mason has his next week.  I had my yearly physical exam this week.  I had blood drawn this morning for routine tests so, hopefully, everything comes back normal!
 
We continued our study of Ancient Egypt this week.  We watched Wonders of the Ancient World - Ancient Egypt.  While I wouldn't recommend this video because it was pretty dry, there was wonderful footage of the Cliff Temples of Abu Simbel, the Great Pyramid of Giza, and Thebes.  We also started watching a great video, Egypt's Golden Empire.  Egypt's Golden Empire is a great video but more interesting for an older audience (at least in my house).  My daughter and I are finding this video to be very interesting.

Our highlight for the week in history, though, was making Shabtis.  Making the Shabtis was definitely one of the coolest hands-on projects we've done here in quite a while.  You can read all about my children's Shabti-making adventure in the post, Making Shabtis.   

My daughter pursued some sewing projects on her own this week.  I shared about her adorable sock bunnies in the post, Sew Bunny Cute.
Of course, everybody worked on their independent work as well this week.  Amber was thrilled to earn a high B on the Module 3 Biology test so that was a highlight for her.  We are finding Apologia Biology to be a very interesting and challenging course.  My boys both finished a three paragraph essay this week in their Ancient History Writing Lessons course from IEW.  I am so very happy with their progress in writing so far this school year.

All of the children's activities are in full-swing now as well.  Amber has swim team 6 times a week, Mason goes 4 times a week, and Duncan goes 3 times a week.  Amber and Mason are really enjoying Youth Group at church on Wednesday evenings.  The boys are finding their bowling league to be a lot of fun...and they're becoming better bowlers.

That was our Week in Review!  If you'd like to read about what other homeschoolers did this week, check out the Weekly Wrap-Up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment