Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Candy Swirl Pillows Completed!

Amber has been doing quite a bit of work for her sewing course over the past few days.  She has been working on sewing projects independently and seems to be developing a love for sewing.  I am so very glad that I decided (at the last minute) to add a sewing course to her heavily academic schedule this school year.  She is working through the Sew Teach Me curriculum which I reviewed for The Curriculum Choice.  The time I spend working with her on projects is already starting to transfer to her wanting to work on more sewing projects by herself.  She is so very proud of every creation - it's such a delight to see.

In the past few days, she has worked on stitching curves and has completed two "candy swirl pillows."  I thought this was a fairly challenging project.
The candy swirl pillow required 6 separate pieces of fabric to be cut out to make the swirled top of the pillow. 
Amber chose a fish pattern for her pillow and a coordinating blue fabric, both in flannel.  I think one of the best aspects of sewing is picking out adorable fabrics!
Sewing the pieces together was challenging but the instructions in the Sew Teach Me curriculum were excellent. 
The finished project is so pretty and very comfy - perfect for a headrest.  Amber has enough fabric left to make another matching pillow but she chose to make a gift for me first.


I love the owl fabric against the deep brown fabric.  My pillow is in cozy flannel as well.  I think Amber will be making several more of these pillows because she is already getting specific fabric requests from her relatives!  Our sweet Aunt Kim is requesting an Ohio State pillow from Amber and of course, I'll need another owl pillow to make a set!

No comments:

Post a Comment