Friday, July 9, 2010

Independent Reading - Sixth Grade Curriculum

I've finalized my sixth grade son's independent reading list for the 2010-2011 school year.  Some of the titles tie in with our Ancient History studies this year, some are Newberry Award and Newberry Honor winning books, a few books are from Bob Jones University Press, and some are more recent, popular titles.  I even included one title just because my son really, really wanted me to do so (Killer Pizza). 

Independent Reading List for Sixth Grade
  • Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis
  • Frindle - Andrew Clements
  • The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
  • Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J. K. Rowling
  • Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • Breaking the Curse (Time Flyers, Ancient Egypt) - Perdita Finn
  • Holes - Louis Sachar
  • Scholastic Book Files, A Reading Guide to Holes
  • Killer Pizza - Greg Taylor
  • Guardians of Ga-Hoole, Book One, The Capture - Kathryn Lasky
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus - Rosemary Sutcliff
  • Hank The Cowdog (#1) - John R. Erickson
  • Sheriff at Waterstop - Andy Thomson
  • Book Links, Journey Into Literature for Sheriff at Waterstop - Bob Jones University Press
  • The Forgotten Door - Alexander Key
  • James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl
  • Shiloh - Phyllis Naylor
  • Iqbal - Francesco D'Adamo
  • Mountain Born - Elizabeth Yates
  • Book Links, Journey Into Literature for Mountain Born - Bob Jones University Press
How will I assess Mason's understanding of his independent reading?

  • For some books, I will prepare reading comprehension questions for each chapter and he will answer them orally.
  • For some books, Mason will simply narrate to me the major events of the book or chapter.
  • I am using Book Links from BJUP for two books, Sheriff at Waterstop and Mountain Born.
  • I will be using Reading Response Trifolds for 40 Favorite Novels for several of the books.
  • I will be using Teaching With Favorite Newberry Books for several of the books.
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lastly, I will be using some reading response activities from a few different Scholastic Teaching Books:

No comments:

Post a Comment