Thursday, February 18, 2010

Choosing Between Good Things

I am SO looking forward to the MidWest Homeschool Convention coming up in April. I attended last year and had an AMAZING time. The speakers were incredible...and be still my heart, the vendor's hall was fabulous. I'm so very excited that I will be able to attend again this year...and the schedule was just published this week. So, of course, I have been painstakingly trying to decide which seminars I will attend.

As I was trying to decide between four programs that I would like to attend all offered at the same time, I thought how much easier it would be if there was only one good choice for me during each time slot. So, for example, if I only had to choose between the following topics, it would be so easy...
  • Keeping Free Range Poisonous Snakes in Your Home - Educational...But Dangerous
  • You CAN be SuperMom - You Just Need to Work Harder and Sleep Much, Much, Much Less
  • How to Eliminate Creativity in Your Children
  • Spelling and the Brain! Andrew Pudewa
  • Homeschool Burnout?, Just Quit - It Doesn't Matter Anyway!
  • Reading is Overrated - Just Watch TV

It would be so easy to choose Spelling and the Brain! with Andrew Pudewa because it would be the only good choice in a list of bad choices.

But, like most of the everyday choices I need to make regarding my time - I have to choose between good things. As soon as I finish this blog post, I have a block of time to fill. My husband took the kids to swim team and they won't be back for two hours. Do I tackle the mountain of clean clothes that need put away? Do I get the grading done from today's schoolwork? Do I do some cooking in the kitchen to get a head start for tomorrow? Do I work on an ongoing bigger project? Do I use the time to prep for our next unit study?

See, all of those choices are good things. All of those choices would bless my family in one way or another. All of them would be in line with my responsibilities here at home. Choosing between good things is hard.

So, how do you choose between all of the good things in your life that vie for your time and attention? By the way, I'm going to tackle the laundry because it is REALLY out of hand and then the grading...

No comments:

Post a Comment