Monday, February 7, 2011

What's Going On in My Reading Life?

Once again this year I'm participating in my local library's 50 Book Challenge.  I finished the challenge in 2009 with a total of 68 books and in 2010 with a total of 56 books.   I now am the proud owner of two very special commemorative coffee mugs memorializing my reading achievements, both gifts from my local library for completing the challenge.
This year, in addition to participating in my local library's 50 Book Challenge, I'm also participating in  Booking It at LifeasMOM.  The first book of the year is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I'm almost done reading it.  I'll be linking up to share my thoughts about the book on Thursday, February 10th.  Jessica has picked 11 wonderful, diverse books to read throughout the year and I'm looking forward to participating in her online book club!

I'm also trying very hard to read through the Bible this year again.  It has been years since I read the Bible all the way through and I am hoping to do so this year.  I'm using a reading guide from Heartlight which includes a reading from the Old and New Testaments each day.

So far this year, I've read 6 books so I feel like I'm off to a good reading start in 2011.  What did I read?

  • The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning - Book 6 in the Highlander series  ***** (I really like this series and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.)
  • The Man Must Marry by Janet Chapman - Book 1 in the Sinclair Brothers series  **** (Janet Chapman is hands-down my very favorite romance author.)      
  • Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins  ***** (I adore this series.  This year I am re-reading the entire series and will also be reading the prequels.  It has been years since I read them and I enjoyed Left Behind even more the second time.)
  • Lamps, Scrolls, and Goatskin Bottles:  A Handbook of Bible Customs for Kids by Julia Hans  *** (This was a read-aloud for our Ancient Israel unit in our history course)    
  • Kings and Carpenters:  One Hundred Bible Land Jobs You Might Have Praised or Panned by Laurie Coulter  *** (This was another read-aloud for our Ancient Israel unit.  I really enjoyed this one.)
  • Moonlight Warrior by Janet Chapman - Book 1 in the Moonlight Bay series  ***** (I think this may be my favorite romance novel by my favorite romance author.  I'm giving myself permission this year to re-read favorite books so this was the second time I read this book and fell in love with the characters all over again.)
What am I reading?  As usual, I'm reading several books at once.
  • Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - I only have a few chapters left to read in this classic book.  Amber has already finished it.  I am dragging my heels a bit on this one.  The immense amount of ship-related terminology has been an obstacle to my enjoyment of the book.  
  • Dragon Warrior by Janet Chapman - Book 2 in the Moonlight Bay series.  Just published, this book picks up right after the end of Moonlight Warrior.  Love it, love it, love it!  I'm sure I'll be finishing this one soon.
  • The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - As mentioned before, I'm reading this for Life As Mom's online book club.  I'm almost done with the book and have really enjoyed it.  The book is filled with scads of advice to help one remember that happy is a verb and not an adjective.  Being happy is something we all must work to achieve.
  • Homeschooling High School:  Planning Ahead for College Admission by Jeanne Gowen Dennis - I am just starting this book as my daughter edges closer and closer to full-blown high school at home.  She is taking two high school courses in 8th grade this year so we're both getting our feet wet.
  • Clutter Rehab by Laura Wittman - I am just starting this book and am looking forward to reading more.  I've been very motivated by Laura's 52 Weeks of Organizing Challenge and have been participating each week.
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien - We're currently reading this as our read-aloud book in the afternoon.  I LOVE it!  I'm not sure how but I missed this treasure before now.  All three of my kids are really enjoying this book.  
So, are you participating in any reading challenges this year?  Have you read anything great lately?  What are you hoping to read this year?

Photo courtesy of Michelle Meiklejohn at www.freedigitalphotos.net.  

No comments:

Post a Comment