Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Book Review - Booster Shot! Energize Your Homeschool with Unit Studies by Kym Wright

This past year I finally fully gave in to my "hands-on momma, let's do a project" leanings and took a unit study approach with our homeschool. I truly think this past year has been the best year of homeschooling so far, at least I've enjoyed it more than any other year!

Last summer, I read several books about taking a unit study approach to homeschooling but my favorite was by Kym Wright. Her book, "Booster Shot! Energize Your Homeschool with Unit Studies" was so helpful to me that I just finished reading it again. As I start to plan for next school year, I want to do a better job of tying individual reading and writing assignments for each of the children to the unit studies that we will be doing. Sometimes I did really well with that this year, and sometimes, not so much.

"Booster Shot! Energize Your Homeschool with Unit Studies" contains compelling arguments for the use of unit studies. She explains the differences between the three most common types of unit studies. My favorite part of the book, though, is the great advice she gives for the "textbook" mom who is concerned about integrating school subjects into a unit study while making sure grade-level skills are taught. My favorite tip from her is to use a grade level checklist for all subjects covered in the unit study approach, therefore, you have a guide to follow. For example, if you know that outlining is to be covered in 6th grade, you can be sure to cover outlining within the framework of one of the unit studies planned for the year.

Kym Wright includes a topical list of skills needed in writing, reading, reference skills, book genres, art, science, history, civics, and geography. For me, the lists are not detailed enough to be particularly useful but they can serve as an outline to which additional detail could be added.

The importance of vocabulary study is emphasized throughout the book. This was very encouraging to me to make the vocabulary associated with a unit of even greater importance next year.

She includes an entire chapter on planning your own unit study which was very helpful to me. The unit study planner pages are reproducible. I especially appreciated that she included pages which are filled in and pages which are blank. Looking at how she planned a unit study with the pages clarified the planning process that she describes in her book.

She also includes lots of great ideas for ending the unit study with a meaningful conclusion. Alternative means of assessment (other than tests) are discussed in great detail as well. Lastly, she includes an entire chapter on cultivating creativity in children and home educators.

I highly recommend Kym Wright's book to any homeschooler who is interested in unit studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment