Monday, March 23, 2009

Carnegie Science Center

I just love our Science Center membership! In addition to admission to our local science center, our membership allows our family to visit science centers all over the United States for free! Last Friday, we took advantage of this great benefit and visited Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Carnegie Science Center is my favorite science center - we always have such a good and educational time there - our last visit was no exception.

The highlight of the visit for me was the Cooking with Chemistry show in the Kitchen Theater. We were treated to a demonstration of Fruit Flambe complete with lighting the dessert on fire! Quite impressive, although I am afraid to try the recipe at home. If you are braver in the kitchen than I am, you can find the recipe (and many more) at this link on Carnegie Science Center's website:

The most fabulous part of the demonstration is that each of us got to try the caramel sauce over a small cup of ice cream at the end! Yummy!
The highlight of the kidlets' visit was getting to try the Orbitron and the Bungee Jumper. My husband and I thought the Orbitron looked like a Medieval Torture Device but A and M LOVED it! Our youngest, D, was wise enough to steer clear of the Orbitron. D did enjoy jumping on the Bungee Jumper, though.



Playing in the hands-on children's play area always scores big points with my kids! M and D loved building with the water pipes!


A, on the other hand, had no interest in getting wet at the water pipe station and devoted her time to making stop-motion animation films at the stop-motion animation film station.


The last highlight of the day was watching the IMAX movie, "Under the Sea," for A and me. K took the boys to see a laser show. They had never seen a laser show before and really enjoyed it. I couldn't resist taking one last picture of my boys in their happy shirts overlooking the city of Pittsburgh. Now, that's what I call a field trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment