Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekly Menu Plan & Pantry Challenge-Week 2

So far, I feel like I'm doing great in Life As Mom's Pantry Challenge!  After eating quite a few things from the freezer last week, my husband and I worked together to clean out our freezers on Saturday.  I'll continue working on eating from the freezer the rest of the month but I'm so happy that we've already organized our freezers!  Now I know what's in there and where to find it.

Before the big freezer organization effort:


After eating a bunch of stuff from the freezer last week and throwing out a few things, we organized the remaining food in our freezer by type in boxes.  (We really don't drink that much beer here - my husband gets these wonderful, sturdy boxes for free at work.)  The four boxes are marked:  Vegetables, Pork, Beef, Chicken and Fries.  Freezer meals, odds and ends, and frozen pizza are stored at the top while turkeys are stored at the bottom.    
In the freezer door are purchased freezer meals.
We moved all of the desserts, cookies, fudge, and ice cream to the little freezer above our extra fridge in the basement.  We also moved all of our ice packs for our coolers down there as well.  That little move was pure brilliance.  Previously, the ice packs would always slide out on my foot almost every time I opened our main fridge.  Of course, it took me 10 years to decide to move the ice packs to another location - still, pure brilliance.
This week's menu plan includes lots of food from the freezer again.  I've highlighted all of the freezer items in bold.  I'm also trying to use my bread machine more this week after the success of the garlic bread.

  • Monday - Chili (ground beef), chicken nuggets, fries, green beans, cake in the bread machine
  • Tuesday - Harvest pork roast, baked potatoes, frozen broccoli, Hawaiian Sweet Bread in the bread machine.  I'm also going to cook a whole chicken in the crock-pot for the next day's meal and broth.
  • Wednesday - Chicken Tetrazzini, tortellini, rigatoni, Garlic bread in bread machine
  • Thursday - Swiss steak (round steak), mashed potatoes, frozen corn, Maple-Buttermilk Bread in the bread machine
  • Friday - Homestyle Chicken and Noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits
  • Saturday - Eating out at an undetermined restaurant between prelims and finals at a swim meet our son is competing in
  • Sunday - Moe's after church
To read about what hundreds of other bloggers are eating this week, check out Menu Plan Monday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment