Friday, January 28, 2011

52 Weeks of Organizing - Organizing My Desk

I am quite thankful, once again, for the 52 Weeks of Organizing challenge!  I know that without the organizing challenge to motivate me and hold my accountable, I definitely would not have set aside time to do a bit of organizing during my very hectic week.

The clutter on my desk has been bothering me for quite a while now.  I am often at my desk and I would like that time to feel as peaceful as possible.  It is difficult for me to feel peaceful when I am surrounded by clutter.
 
While working on this organizational project, I tried to think of solutions that would clear the clutter but would be easy to maintain over time.  As I worked through all of the things on my desk, I discovered that I had very little that I could cull - I really need the vast majority of items that I keep on my desk.  To organize my desk:
  • I finally listed all of the books in the box under my desk on PaperBackSwap.  I had been meaning to do it for months.  After listing all of the books, I stored the books in another location out of the way with the other books I have listed on PaperBackSwap.
  • I moved a round basket from the living room that was being used only for decorative purposes and put it to work on my desk.  I gathered up my packing tape, address stamp, iPod charger cords, rubber band ball, white-out, post-it notes, tape runner, timer, calculator, and flash drives and put them all in the basket.  Now, rather than all of those items cluttering up my desk, they are neatly tucked away, yet very accessible.
  • I went through the "bills to pay" long basket I keep in one of the top cubbies.  I was able to throw out or shred some of the papers in there.  Throughout the week, as bills and correspondence come in, I put it in the "bills to pay" basket.  I process all bills and correspondence once a week when I do the payroll for our family business.
  • I replaced the pen holder basket with a small crock that is lower in height, therefore, the pens are easier to see.  I also made sure that I have all of the writing utensils that I need at my desk:  pens, pencils, markers, highlighters, and a permanent marker.
  • I organized the only drawer my little desk has by culling any unneeded items.  I plan to add no items to this drawer so that the minimal contents are easy to find.
  • I was able to move the little basket to another area of the house, as the items in that basket fit into the larger, circular basket. 
  • I emptied the paper recycling bag since it was overflowing and cleared the top of the desk.
 
 
 I am quite pleased with the results and feel much more peaceful while working at my desk now!  To read about the organizational projects of other bloggers this week, visit Org Junkie's 52 Weeks of Organizing

No comments:

Post a Comment