Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tag - I'm It Again! and Blog Awards

One of the things I adore about the homeschool blogging community is the companionship and support I often receive from other bloggers.  As my children have gotten older and we are no longer involved in a "physical" homeschool support group due to their school schedules and outside activities, I truly appreciate the "virtual" support that I receive from other homeschool bloggers! 

I was recently tagged by All American Family to participate in a fun meme so here are my answers:

1. Why did you start homeschooling?

Homeschooling has become such a part of who we are as a family and what we do that the "why" question is harder to answer now than it used to be, in part because I'm so seldom asked.  In a very small nutshell, my husband and I think that it is best for the children to be educated at home where we can individualize their education, be the primary influence in shaping their values, and have a family-centered lifestyle.  To read more about my thoughts on why we homeschool, read my post - Reminding Myself About Why I Homeschool My Children. 

2. How long have you been homeschooling?

We've been homeschooling since my oldest child was in first grade so this is our 8th year homeschooling.

3. Do you have pets? What kinds?

Yes!  We have a cocker spaniel named Hershey and a cat named Basil.  Mason has a guinea pig and Amber has a 50 gallon tank of freshwater fish in her room. 

4. What is your picture perfect day like?

A picture perfect day?  Well, a picture perfect day to me looks quite different depending on if the picture perfect day is:
  • a day spent alone
  • a day spent with just my husband
  • a day spent with my husband and children (a normal day)
I'll focus on a normal day spent with my husband and children.  A picture perfect day would start with me being relaxed because I have everything all ready for the school day.  The boy's workboxes would be ready for them, and my daughter's assignment sheet would be ready for her.  I would have everything graded for the day before. 

In a perfect day, my husband would come home super-early from work and make breakfast for all of us with homemade waffles.  Of course, he never gets off THAT early, but I can dream.

The morning would go by smoothly with the children completing their independent work and working with me on various subjects.  All of my children would have good attitudes and be friendly to one another.

My husband would suggest that we go to Moe's (our favorite restaurant) for lunch.  Yea!  After a wonderful lunch of Mexican food, the children would be eager to complete our history lessons.  We would all gather in the living room for an educational video and read-aloud time.  My children would be interested and pleasant during the entire lesson.

Afterwards, we would be surprised by a call from a friend from swim team who offers to take our kids to swim team that evening.  Yea!  I would use that time to pack big snacks for the kids for after swim team and get all ready for the next day.  Then, my husband would insist on picking the kids up so I would crawl into bed early with a good book!

5. What is your favorite season?

Fall - definitely Fall.

6. What is your favorite dinner or meal to make for your family?

I prefer to make easy-to-prepare meals like tacos, spaghetti, and casseroles.  As well, I like using my crock-pot for soups and other homestyle meals.  I don't love to cook - mostly because I just don't have that much time to devote to cooking.

7. What is your favorite activity to do with your family?

I love to go on field trips with my family - science centers and living history locations are my favorite.  I also love watching movies with them.

8. What is your favorite indulgence?

Chocolate, movies, and just-for-pleasure books.
I've also been delighted to receive some sweet Blog Awards lately.  Thank you so much to all of the kind ladies who thought highly enough of my blog to grant me these awards.  Thank you!



I've been award the "One Lovely Blog Award" from All American Family and the Adventurer at Life's Adventures.

I've been awarded the "Sunshine Award" from All American Family.

I've been awarded the "Versatile Blogger" award from Joelle at Homeschooling for His Glory.  I also received this award from Say What? and Amy at Fun Days for Curious Kids.

Thank you again to all of the kind ladies who thought of me and gave me these awards!

I love reading other homeschoolers' blogs!  They are a continual source of inspiration and encouragement to me.  I have quite a few blogs in my reader that I enjoy reading when have some computer time and I'm often finding new, delightful blogs.  I try to follow-up and visit everybody who comments on my blog and have found some great blogs in that way.  Here is a list of my very, very, very favorite blogs - the ones I read almost every day.  Most are homeschooler's blogs but a few are not - all are quite family-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment