Monday, October 18, 2010

Preparing for the Social Aspects of College

Interesting title, hmmm?  It's funny, I've been focusing on preparing my oldest daughter for the academic demands of college by trying to provide a solid, college-prep high school education for her but obviously I've failed to focus on what's really important - preparing her socially.

Thank goodness this reminder came to my daughter just last week so that we can change how we spend our days!  A not-to-be-named college student was helping out at my daughter's swim team practice.  Upon finding out that she is homeschooled, he first asked if she was going to continue to homeschool during high school.  She told him that she will continue to be homeschooled throughout high school.  He then asked, "How are you going to be prepared for college?"

Amber politely informed him that, in general, homeschoolers are prepared for and do well in college since they are used to working independently.  She told him about her college-prep courses and her focus on reading the classics.

After listening to her explanation about how she was preparing academically for college, he looked at her blankly and said, "No, I mean socially."   

I"m sure you're anxious to hear the changes we'll be making to our schedule now that we've received this little gem of wisdom.  Now that we know what's really important, we'll be dropping Biology so that my daughter can just spend that time on Facebook instead.  As well, we'll be dropping Algebra so that we can add a class I've been working on - Conversational Starters for the Hopelessly Awkward Homeschooler.  Finally, no more wasting time reading boring classics - all she really needs to read is those helpful articles about friends and boyfriends in teen magazines.   

I'm just thankful for the words of wisdom that drip so willingly from the lips of those who obviously know much more about the world and what my daughter needs to prepare for college than I do. 

Obviously, the above post must be read tongue-in-cheek.  My daughter found his response quite funny and joked about it with some of the other swimmers.  When she told me, we had a good laugh and actually got quite silly thinking of names of different classes that we could add to our day to make her more "socially" prepared for college.

Realistically, academics aside, my daughter:
  • competes on a USA swim team year-round and takes part in local, state, and regional swim meets (and hopefully, a national level meet soon!)
  • is active in our church youth group
  • has good relationships with her siblings, parents, and relatives
  • has several good friends whom she talks to and sees on a regular basis and countless acquaintances
  • volunteers monthly at an assisted-care facility for the elderly
  • volunteers regularly at our church to work with young children.
Preparing socially for college and life should focus on building relationships with people of all different ages and learning to feel comfortable in a wide-range of situations.  As far as I'm concerned, she's doing a wonderful job of preparing socially for the college experience...and for life outside our home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment