Sunday, June 6, 2010

A List of Visiting Birds

During the month of May, I made an extra effort to pay special attention to the birds that visited my bird feeder.  As I saw different birds at my bird feeder, I kept a list of all of the different birds that I saw.  I used a wonderful little field guide, Birds of Ohio, to identify any birds that I did not know.

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of birds that visit my bird feeder.  I had 18 different kinds of birds visit my bird feeder in May!  I enjoyed seeing:
  1. Brown-Headed Cowbird
  2. Downy Woodpecker
  3. Red Winged Blackbird
  4. Mourning Dove
  5. House Sparrow
  6. Common Grackle
  7. Blue Jay
  8. Northern Cardinal
  9. American Robin
  10. Red-Bellied Woodpecker
  11. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
  12. Purple Finch
  13. Black-Capped Chickadee
  14. American Crow
  15. Tufted Titmouse
  16. American Goldfinch
  17. White-Breasted Nuthatch
  18. Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
As well, a pair of Canadian Geese visited our front yard during the month.  I was also able to identify the owl that I hear each night behind our house as a Barred Owl.  So, we enjoy at least 20 different kinds of birds right by our house!

I was also pleasantly surprised by the way in which my simple project inspired interest in my children and husband about the birds that we see.

During the month of June, I will continue to pay attention to my bird feeder whenever I am in the kitchen.  I hope to add to my list with a new bird sighting in June.     

No comments:

Post a Comment