Friday, June 11, 2010

Week in Review - First Week of Summer Break and I'm Exhausted!

The children and I enjoyed our first week of summer break which was overflowing with activities.  Actually, I'm quite tired and am looking forward to going to bed as soon as I can this evening!

Last week-end found all of us at a swim meet for the entire week-end, about 15 hours over both days.  Since my boys competed in the early session and my daughter was in the afternoon session, we were there all day.  Although the days were long, we loved seeing all three of our children swim.  We also enjoyed seeing and talking with some of our "swim team parent friends." 

Monday morning at 7am began double practices for my daughter.  We left our house at 6:15 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday to get to the pool on time for practice.  No leisurely summer sleeping in around here!  Evening swim team practice has been bumped up for the summer so we leave here at 3:30 for evening practice.  So, basically, double practice days are mostly spent at the pool! 

A huge bonus for me, though, is that the morning practice location is too far for me to drive home so I just wait for my daughter in the car...with a big stack of homeschooling planning materials and books.  I seriously delight in the uninterrupted time to plan and read. 

This week I've been working on scheduling and planning Amber's literature analysis course.  I am using Skills for Literary Analysis from For Such a Time as This.  I am very excited about this curriculum - it truly was exactly what I was looking for in a literary analysis course.  I'm breaking the course up over two years so I've been working out the scheduling for each day of the school year.

When my brain starts to fizzle with too much planning, I've been reading Jane Eyre for the first time.  The book is a true treasure and I've been enjoying the book so very much.  While it has not been an easy or quick read for me, I have been delighting in the beauty of the language and the character of Mr. Rochester.

On Tuesday my niece and nephew arrived from Colorado to spend a week with my mother-in-law.  Ever since they arrived, the week has been an absolute whirlwind of activity added on top of our already busy schedule. 
  • Tuesday evening was pizza at my mother-in-law's house to greet and welcome them. 
  • Wednesday was a matinee in between morning and evening swim team.  We saw Iron Man 2 and it was enjoyed by all.
  • Thursday was Cedar Point (a very big amusement park).  I spent most of the day with my youngest, Duncan in kiddie land while the older kids rode the big roller coasters.  All of the kids had a fabulous time.  I am very tired and sunburned today.

  • Friday was a trip to a local water park.  I was excused from the outing to prepare for the big birthday cook-out at our house tomorrow.  
Tomorrow is Duncan's birthday!  I better get back to the kitchen and decorate his birthday cake!  The cake should be cooled and ready to frost now.  I am making a simple Pokemon cake at his request.  Actually he requested a Pokemon cake but a simple Pokemon cake is all I have the talent to prepare.  I'll be sure to post a picture when I'm all done. 

That was our first week of summer break Week in Review.  If all of our summer break is as busy as this past week, I'm going to need a break to recover from our break!  If you want to see what other homeschoolers did this past week, check out the Weekly Wrap-Up at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers!        

No comments:

Post a Comment