Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A List of Must-Read Books

One of my very favorite bloggers, Roan from Joyful Always, recently asked:

Do you have a list of must read books that you could share?  I am wanting a list of fiction and non fiction books that I can work on this year--classics and such.

First, I have to admit - I do love books and I am definitely an avid reader but much of what I read wouldn't be on any serious must-read list.  While I do read classic books, nonfiction, and the Bible regularly - I also read a lot of books because they relax me and make me happy.  I like books with happy endings therefore I read quite a few cozy mysteries and romance novels.  While I have had people poke fun at me for some of my book selections, I'm completely OK with reading books simply to escape for a little while and enjoy myself.  Reading cozy mysteries and romance novels is a lot like eating cookies for me.  I know I could be eating something more nutritious but I sure do enjoy eating cookies! 

Having given that disclaimer, I do have a fairly long list of books in different categories that I very highly recommend reading.  In this post, I'll recommend books in the following categories:
  • Homeschooling
  • Organization/Home Management
  • Marriage
  • Classics
  • Young Adult/Children's Novels
  • Cozy Mysteries
  • Fiction
  • Romance

The very first and most important book that I recommend is the Bible.  While I could definitely do better with my daily Bible reading, I do try to spend some time in the Word each day.  For me, having a daily reading plan really helps to keep me on track.  Right now, I'm using a bible reading plan from Heartlight that has daily readings in both the Old and the New Testaments.  Heartlight has several different Bible reading plans available free of charge from which to choose.

Homeschooling 
Organization/Home Management
Marriage

Classics
I have been actively trying to read more classic books, particularly along with my daughter.  I compiled a list of recommended classic books that I would like to read here.  The list below reflects my very favorite classic books.
  • Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
  • Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare
Young Adult/Children's Novels
In addition to the list below, you can get more ideas about great young adult/children's novels here

Cozy Mysteries
If you aren't familiar with cozy mysteries, I highly recommend the Cozy Mystery website to learn more about cozy mysteries and to find cozy mysteries that might appeal to you. 
Fiction
***While I know cozy mysteries and romance novels are fiction as well, this list includes books that don't fit well into the other categories.
Romance Novels
So, what other great must-read books have you read?  Roan from Joyful Always and I would love to hear your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment