Monday, September 20, 2010

Favorite Curriculum By Subject


This week's TOS Blog Cruise question is "What are your favorite resources for teaching the ages/grades that you are teaching?"  Since homeschool moms (me included) love to talk about curriculum, this topic is a fun one!  We are definitely eclectic homeschoolers using a wide variety of different curriculum.  For the 2010-2011 school year, my daughter, Amber is in 8th grade.  My sons, Mason and Duncan, are in 8th and 4th grades respectively.  

Math
My very favorite curriculum for math is Teaching Textbooks.  We've been using Teaching Textbooks for four years now and I definitely plan to stick with TT through the high school math courses.  This year, Duncan (9) is using Math 5, Mason (12) is using Math 6, and Amber (13), is using Algebra 1. 

Teaching Textbooks is designed for the student to work independently.  Each program includes a textbook and computer CDs.  My boys don't use the textbook at all.  They watch the lesson on the computer and then they use a math notebook to solve the math problems and answer the questions on the computer.  My daughter prefers reading the lesson over watching it on the computer. 

All three of my students find the program motivational.  My boys enjoy the little animated buddy that perches in the left corner of the computer screen during their lessons.  They can choose the buddy from a wide variety of choices and it cheers them on during their lessons.  My daughter particularly likes that many of the word problems are funny, often in a quirky sort of way. 

Math concepts are clearly explained and there is quite a bit of review built into the programs.  A huge benefit for busy homeschooling moms is that Teaching Textbooks is self-grading up until Pre-Algebra.  Nobody ever complains about doing math here and all of my children are doing well in their respective levels.  Teaching Textbooks is a definite keeper for me!     

Grammar
My favorite resource for Grammar is a very non-flashy program called Growing With Grammar.  We've been using this program for several years now and it has been an excellent fit for two of my children.  To read more about Growing With Grammar, you can read my full review of Growing With Grammar at The Curriculum Choice. 

Art
My favorite resource for Art is Atelier Art.  I LOVE this program!  Atelier Art is a video-based program designed for homeschoolers.  I so wish I had discovered Atelier Art at the very beginning of our homeschool journey.  To read more about Atelier Art, you can read my full review of Atelier Art at The Curriculum Choice. 

History
Prior to this year, I have always put together my own unit studies in history and science.  This year, for a wide variety of reasons, I am using Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World.  This program gives structure to our history studies without being overwhelming. 

Following the reading schedule outlined in the weekly guide keeps me moving along through different historical topics.  For example, without a schedule to keep me moving through the ages, I could easily spend our whole school year exploring Ancient Egypt!  With only five years left before my daughter goes to college, I want to make sure she has a good overview of Ancient, Medieval, Early American, and Modern American history before she enters college.  To make sure that happens, I can't spend months on a single topic as I sometimes have in the past.

In addition, I really enjoy the hands-on project suggestions and the video suggestions given in the Winter Promise teacher's guide.

Of course, I always have to tweak the plans given by Winter Promise a bit!  My favorite history resources that can easily be added to an existing curriculum are History Pockets by Evan-Moor.  I've used them in many history unit studies in the past and am currently using Ancient Egypt History Pockets as independent work for my boys to go along with our Winter Promise study.

Foreign Language
While we are just beginning to study foreign languages in our homeschool, my favorite resource so far is La Clase Divertida.  My two boys and I are taking this course and we are all enjoying it (particularly me).  We are working through the video-based Level 1 Spanish class and I so enjoy the enthusiasm of the instructor.  One of my favorite aspects of the class is that cultural and history information about Spanish-speaking countries is integrated throughout the program and hands-on activities are included.

Science
Up until this year I have taught science to my children in unit studies using a wide variety of resources.  This year, my daughter is taking Biology using Apologia Biology which I think is excellent.  My boys are currently working through Chemistry Level 1 from Real Science 4 Kids.  So far, I have been quite impressed with this curriculum as well.  Using textbooks for science is new for me, though!

I have also really enjoyed the hands-on project kits from Stratton House and the science units from TOPS Science.  We have also used Great Science Adventures:  Discovering the Human Body and Senses from Common Sense Press as our spine for a unit study about the human body last year.  You can read my full review of Discovering the Human Body and Senses at Curriculum Choice.  

Writing
I adore Ancient History Writing Lessons from the Institute for Excellence in Writing.  This is our first year with this program and I absolutely love it.  My boys are improving in their writing skills in ways that I completely didn't expect.  My boys are both writing without complaining and the lessons integrate perfectly with our history studies.  I love it!  Again, I wish I had started using IEW materials years ago.  The lessons are clear and my boys enjoy knowing exactly what they need to do in order to do well on their writing assignments.  The resources from IEW have given me a lot of confidence in teaching my reluctant writer boys to write and enjoy writing. 

Literary Analysis
This year, my daughter is doing most of her writing through her Literary Analysis course.  My daughter is definitely a natural writer and has been writing stories since before she should even form letters properly.  I remember her "pretending" to write stories and then bringing a page full of scribbles to me when she was a preschooler!  I am using Skills for Literary Analysis from For Such A Time As This.  So far, I really like this course and enjoy the clear directions and thorough overview of major literary concepts.

Spelling
While my daughter is a natural writer, she is NOT a natural speller.  I have used many different spelling curriculums over the years but I think I have finally found something that is working well and is not too painful for any of my children.  My boys have done well with all of the spelling programs that I've tried so my continued search for a good fit has been for my daughter.  This year, all three of them are using The Phonetic Zoo from the Institute for Excellence in Writing.  This is an auditory, independent program through which children progress at their own pace.  So far, the program seems to be a good fit for all of my children.  I think after years of searching, I may have found a keeper!

Sewing
My daughter and I are working through a wonderful beginning sewing course this year from Sew Teach Me.  I decided to add this to my daughter's schedule at the last minute and I am so glad that I did.  It's definitely one of her favorite parts of this school year.  You can read my full review of Sew Teach Me at The Curriculum Choice.

If you would like to read more about some of my favorite homeschooling resources, you may enjoy the following links.

No comments:

Post a Comment