Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Drawing Ancient Greek Columns


During our unit studies, I try to incorporate as many academic subjects as I can into our daily lessons. I also try to include lots of hands-on projects. While my children enjoy most of our hands-on projects, some are definitely enjoyed more than others. Sometimes, the projects that my children really "get into" and enjoy surprise me.

Yesterday, they completed an Ancient Greek columns drawing activity after we talked about different styles of columns. Using a drawing guide from the Hands and Hearts Ancient Greece and Rome Hands-on-History kit, all three of my children concentrated on their drawings and were pleased with their results. They used a charcoal pencil for the outlines and charcoal sticks to blend the sides and make them look more rounded.

All of their drawings turned out very well, and hopefully, they will be able to identify different kinds of Greek columns when they see them incorporated into the architecture of buildings.
Mason - 5th grade

Duncan - 3rd grade

Amber - 7th grade

No comments:

Post a Comment