Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Magic of Motherhood

My daughter (almost 13) and I enjoyed an absolutely lovely day out together today. We sent to see the first showing of the day of New Moon (again) at the movie theater. Then we had lunch at Cracker Barrel (one of my favorite restaurants). Finally, we stopped at the library for the monthly book sale and I purchased a huge bag of books for $3.15! In between, we laughed and we talked and we listened to a new book on tape in the car.

And I was overwhelmed, completely and totally overwhelmed, by the fact that sometime along the way...in between nursing, potty training, swim lessons, and teaching her to read...my beautiful and precious little girl grew into a beautiful and precious young lady. I was struck by the fact that I really didn't want to be with anybody else for a girl's day out than my daughter. I was struck by the fact that I LOVE to be with my daughter, I love to talk to my daughter, I love to be loved by my daughter. She makes me laugh, she makes me smile, she brings such joy, pride, and warmth to my life.

Time goes by so very fast, it takes my breath away at times. One day I was nursing her, then I blinked. The next day I was potty-training her. Then I blinked. The next day, she could read and we were discussing books. Then I blinked. The next day she was taller than I am and I realized that her time at home with us is limited. Soon, I will blink again and she will be spreading her wings and starting out on her own to live her own life.

And that is the magic of motherhood. Time goes by in the blink of an eye and in between all of the work and exhaustion of motherhood, you realize that you have fallen completely, totally, irrevocably, and forever in love with your children. The love you feel for them is so real, so complete, and so tangible, it feels at times that the power of it will sweep you away and leave you adrift in a sea of emotion.

But then the laundry, dinner, a question from a child, the dog, or a thousand other tasks call us back to the day-to-day existence. I am so thankful for today and the reminder of just how much I love my daughter...and all of my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment