Saturday, December 26, 2009

The 50 Book Challenge Wrap-Up and Review

In 2009, I participated in the 50 Book Challenge through my local library. Over the course of the year, I more than met my goal and I re-discovered the simple joy of reading simply for the pleasure of reading. Losing myself in the world of a good book for a little while before I fall asleep at night, in between events at a swim meet, in spare pockets of time, or while waiting for the children at swim team has been absolutely wonderful this year.

In my reading, I don't always get to choose whatever mystery, romance, or thriller interests me. I do read some books specifically for the purpose of preparing to discuss the book with one or more of my children for school. For example, I read "Johnny Tremain" by Esther Forbes over the summer so that my daughter and I could discuss the book when she read it during our American Revolution unit study. I also read some non-fiction - usually related to homeschooling or some aspect of managing my home.

I had thought about setting some more specific goals for myself this year regarding the types of books that I read (for example, more classic books or a certain number of non-fiction books) but then I decided, no. Reading is one of the great joys of my life and I will leave it at that...in 2010, I will just continue to READ to prepare for teaching my children, to better myself as a manager of my home, and (most importantly) for the sheer pleasure of it!

Each month I post the books and movies I read and watched that month along with my reviews. As an end-of-the-year wrap-up, I'm including my full list of books that I read in 2009, along with my reviews which range from 1 to 5 stars. I will be clearing my Shelfari shelf located in my blog sidebar on the last day of December to make room for the books that I will read in 2010!

The 68 Books That I Read in 2009

  1. Definitely Dead, #6 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
  2. Night Embrace, #3 in the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  3. Dead as a Doornail, #5 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
  4. All Together Dead, #7 in the Southern Vampire Mystery Series by Charlaine Harris ****
  5. Dance with the Devil, #4 in the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon ****
  6. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer ****
  7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling, audio CD read by Jim Dale *****(This is the second time my daughter and I have listened to this book - I can't recommend the audio CD enough - it is wonderful!)
  8. Men in Kilts by Katie MacAlister ****
  9. A Girl's Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister ***
  10. Dead End Dating by Kimberly Raye ***
  11. One Bite with a Stranger by Christine Warren *
  12. Seducing His Wife by Janet Chapman ****
  13. Death of a Dentist by M. C. Beaton ****
  14. High School at Home, You Can Do It! by Diana Johnson****
  15. Kiss of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark Hunter series) ****
  16. Booster Shot - How to Energize Your Homeschool with Unit Studies by Kym Wright *****
  17. Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox ****
  18. The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson ***
  19. Best Practices for Planning Reading and Writing Instruction by A. C. Fornshell **
  20. Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes - **** (I read this because it will be an assigned book for my daughter during our American Revolution unit next school year. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. The historical references were well-done and interesting and the character development was excellent.)
  21. Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon - ***
  22. Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon - ***
  23. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (audiobook) *****
  24. Kitchen Organization Tips and Secrets by Deniece Schofield ****
  25. Sins of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon ****
  26. Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) by Leslie Meier ***
  27. Taming the Scotsman by Kinley MacGregor ***
  28. From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris ****
  29. Killer Mousse by Melinda Wells ****
  30. Managers of Their Homes by Steven and Teri Maxwell ****
  31. Death Takes the Cake by Melinda Wells ***
  32. The Organized Homeschooler by Vicki Caruana *
  33. Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon ****
  34. Candy Apple Dead by Sammi Carter **
  35. Relentless by Dean R. Koontz ****
  36. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (audio CD) *****
  37. Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon ***
  38. The Husband by Dean R. Koontz ****
  39. The Swimsuit by James Patterson *
  40. Organize Your Corpses by Mary Jane Maffini ***
  41. The Stranger in Her Bed by Janet Chapman ****
  42. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (audiobook for the second time!) *****
  43. Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman ****
  44. Sue Patrick's Workbox System, A User's Guide by Sue Patrick ***
  45. The Death of a Scriptwriter by M.C. Beaton ***
  46. Moonlight Warrior by Janet Chapman ****
  47. The Ligtning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 1) by Rick Riordan ** (The audio book is quite disappointing.)
  48. Loving the Highlander by Janet Chapman ****
  49. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke ***
  50. George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff ***
  51. Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins ****
  52. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins *****
  53. Wedding the Highlander by Janet Chapman ***
  54. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer **** - Favorite Book of the Year
  55. Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke ***
  56. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt ***
  57. Highlander Ever After by Jennifer Ashley ***
  58. Penelope and Prince Charming by Jennifer Ashley ****
  59. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner ***
  60. Deep Trouble (Goosebumps series) by R. L. Stine ***
  61. The Maze Runner by James Dashner ****
  62. Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning ****
  63. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens *****
  64. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer ****
  65. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer ****
  66. The Hunger Games **** (My daughter and I listened to this on audio after reading it - loved the book and loved the audio.)
  67. Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of the Iliad by Rosemary Sutcliff ***
  68. Tempting the Highlander by Janet Chapman ***

No comments:

Post a Comment