Thursday, October 8, 2009

Signs of Life and Creativity


I have busy children. They enjoy making things, doing things, and being creative. Therefore, my home is filled with "creativity in progress," otherwise known as messes.
I remember going over to an aquaintance's house for a meeting several years ago. While I KNEW she had children (I had seen them and met them), I saw absolutely no visible signs that she actually had children living in her home. Being the incredibly tactful person that I am, I blurted out, "Don't your children have any toys or art projects?" She quickly reassured me that all of their art projects and toys were kept in the basement, out of sight, so they could entertain in an adult fashion. Hmmm. Yes, in the basement, out of sight. Hmmm. I have often thought about that moment when I look around my own home and see signs of life and creativity everywhere. Sometimes I feel bad that my house is so clearly a house filled with messy children but, overall, I prefer my vibrant home to a picture-perfect home. My children LIVE here and I'm glad that they do.

I am convinced that one of the most important aspects of encouraging creativity in children is allowing the messes that go along with creativity. I enjoy neatness, organization, and having things in their place. On the other hand, I am more than willing to allow the messes that go along with genuine creativity and artistic expression.

To have smiling boys who just completed another magnificent fort, one first has to be willing to step over...

this in the hall - the remnants of the Lincoln Logs basket that weren't used.To delight in the finished container of jumping frogs and other origami creations, one first has to endure...

a table filled with origami patterns, papers, and half-folded projects.


To enjoy this really cool creation that my son made by stacking cards, one first has to be willing to put up with...card stacking projects in progress and piles of cards piled around the house.

To enjoy cool cup stacking projects...one has to put up with the in-between stage of cups scattered all over the floor.

And, of course, there HAS to be a puzzle table with a work-in-progress at all times.

My middle son is passionate about clay sculpting. He creates with clay every single day. He has a table set up in front of "his" couch with containers of clay by his side. I know he wouldn't spend nearly as much time devoted to his hobby if he had to work away from the flow of our family life. So, I leave the clay table out for him with a huge towel underneath it to catch the tiny pieces of clay that inevitably fall down. But, the rewards of a perpetually messy corner in our living room are many...

like a tiny island, bookworm guy, Hamburger Helper guy, mashed potato guy, and a little mushroom guy that were baked just yesterday.Lastly, my home is filled with knitting projects-in-progress. My daughter often sneaks in some knitting time during the school day during our read-alouds or during an educational video. The piles of yarn do turn into delightful creations, though. For example, a pile of yarn can be transformed into a...

lovely hat!
Perhaps one day I will have a home that is neat as a pin and filled only with adult decorations - a home that could be featured on the cover of a magazine. Hmmm. I certainly hope not, though. When my children leave one day to start their own lives, I hope and pray that my house will one day, once again, be filled with the creative messes of my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment