Monday, September 14, 2009

Atelier Art, Focus on Lines - Lesson 1

One of the big highlights of my curriculum choices this school year has been Atelier Art Level 5. We have completed three lessons so far and each one has been a success. The very first lesson on Lines has been the favorite lesson for my boys so far. They LOVED the lesson on Lines!

After watching the video lesson and completing the warm-up drawing activity, each of us chose a simple animal shape and drew the outline of the animal. Mason, Duncan, and I all drew owls but Amber chose a teddy bear. Then, the assignment was to fill in the basic animal outline with all different kinds of lines. The assignment was simple and I was surprised by just how much the children enjoyed completing the art project.
My third grader did a great job with his owl drawing - so much detail and so many different kinds of lines!
My fifth grader truly embraced this project and continued working on his owl long after everybody had finished their project. The detail in his owl was amazing!

My seventh grader completed a delightful project with lots of color - I love the plaid! The assignment was supposed to be in black and white but...Amber wanted to use colored markers so I thought that would be just fine.Lastly, here is MY owl creation! I decided that rather than skulking about during their art class, encouraging them and cleaning up, that I would actually take the class along with them. I am having a lot of fun and I am finding the projects to be challenging yet rewarding.My boys loved this assignment so much that they asked to watch the art lesson again in the evening. Then they spent hours creating line design projects. I KNOW a curriculum choice was the right one when my children complete ADDITIONAL projects on THEIR OWN TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment