Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Midwest Homeschool Convention Recap - Sessions I Attended

Since I returned from the Midwest Homeschool Convention, my brain has been buzzing in a hundred different directions from all of the wonderful (and sometimes contradictory) information that I gathered/heard at the conference!  I had an amazing, uplifting, and enlightening experience at the conference.  Processing all of the information that I gained will take dedicated time and effort but I am excited about making educational decisions based on the information I gleaned from the conference.

In an effort to recap my experience, I'll start by sharing with you the sessions that I attended.  Whenever possible, I have included links to the notes from the session or the speaker's website.

I also purchased a number of seminars on CD that I was unable to attend at the conference due to scheduling conflicts.
From that extensive list, I'm sure you can pick out a few themes:  homeschooling through high school, raising boys, and apologetics.  I truly enjoyed and found quite valuable ALL of the sessions that I attended.  I hope I feel the same way about all of the CDs that I purchased!

Of the seminars I attended, though, two stand out as being particularly excellent and meaningful to me.  I adored Susan Wise Bauer's talk about Preparing for College.  I was taking notes like crazy during her talk and I even purchased the CD so that I could listen to it again!  Thankfully, I was able to find her handouts for the session online.

As well, Hal and Melanie Young's talk about purity and boys brought me to tears.  I can't wait to read their book, Raising Real Men.   

I have a stack of CDs to listen to and a stack of notes and handouts to read again but I am very excited about  what I am learning from all of this information.  In my next post, I'll share the big nuggets of wisdom that I took away from the conference.  

So, for those of you who recently attended a homeschool convention, what seminar did you see that was particularly relevant to your situation?  What seminars do you wish you could attend again to hear all over from the beginning?  

No comments:

Post a Comment