Friday, April 8, 2011

What's Going On In My Reading Life?



Once again this year I'm participating in my local library's 50 Book Challenge.  I finished the challenge in 2009 with a total of 68 books and in 2010 with a total of 56 books.  Since my last What's Going On In My Reading Life? post, I've read 9 more books which brings my total books read this year total up to 22!  What did I read?  
  • Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson *** - The immense amount of ship-related terminology has been an obstacle to my enjoyment of the book.  
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl  *****- This was our last read-aloud book.  I LOVED this book and so did ALL of my children aged 9-14!
  • Buttercream Bump-Off by Jenn McKinlay **** - This is the second book in the Cupcake Bakery mystery series.  This is an enjoyable book particularly if you like cozy mysteries and cupcakes.  I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series which I have pre-ordered from Amazon.
  • Peace Child by Don Richardson **** - This is one of the books Amber will be reading for history next year.  I'm trying to get an early start on her history reading for next year as I usually read everything she reads so we can talk about it.  Peace Child was an amazing missionary story.  Reading this book also helped me to better understand the salvation message in the Bible.  I HIGHLY recommend this book.
  • Tempt Me If You Can by Janet Chapman **** - This is the second book in the Sinclair Brothers series.  I adore Janet Chapman!
  • Spell of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning **** - This is the 7th book in the Highlander series and the very last one.  I will definitely miss this series.
  • The Corn Grows Ripe by Dorothy Rhoads *** - This is one of the many books my boys will be reading for history next school year.  I very much enjoyed this tale about a Mayan boy who learns responsibility through clearing land, planting, and harvesting corn. 
  • Teaching Literature In High School with Literature Classes You Can Use by Meredith Curtis *** - I thought this was a helpful book with great reading lists and suggestions for teaching literature courses at home.
  • Explore Ancient Greece!  25 Great Projects, Activities, and Experiments by Carmelia Van Vleet - ** I just finished reading this to my children today as part of history.  Overall, I was less than impressed with this book and found much of the information overly simplistic for the grade range of the history program we're using (4th-8th grade).  The book is intended for grades 1-4, though, based on the information on the back cover so, for that age range, the level of information may be just right.
As usual, I'm reading several books at once.  Usually I'm reading a nonfiction book related to homeschooling/parenting/organization, a classic book, a book that my children are going to read for school, and a book purely for fun.  Right now, I'm reading the following books:  
  •  Homeschooling High School:  Planning Ahead for College Admission by Jeanne Gowen Dennis - I am still reading this book as my daughter edges closer and closer to full-blown high school at home.  The more I read of this book, the more I like it.  So far, I would highly recommend this book to anybody who is homeschooling through high school.  
  • Clutter Rehab by Laura Wittman - I am just starting this book and am looking forward to reading more.  I've been very motivated by Laura's 52 Weeks of Organizing Challenge and have been participating each week.
  • Highlander Untamed by Monica McCarty - I am almost done with this book.  While it has been a fairly enjoyable book, I will not be seeking out other titles by this author.
  • Stink Alley by Jamie Gilson - I LOVE this book.  I started reading this one last night and just couldn't stop reading.  The main character is Lizzy, an orphaned Separatist girl living in Holland.  This is a lovely book that really helps to make a very specific time period and circumstance come to life.  I know my daughter will like this one when she reads it for history next year.
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Since my daughter is absolutely enchanted with Sense and Sensibility (which she's reading now), I decided to set aside the book I had planned and have her read another great Jane Austen book instead (which is what she really wants to do).
So, have you read anything great so far this year?  I'm always interested to hear book suggestions!


To read about what other bloggers are reading this month, check out Life As Mom's Booking It 2011.  

Photo courtesy of Michelle Meiklejohn at www.freedigitalphotos.net.   

No comments:

Post a Comment