Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple Tree Nature Study

A few weeks ago we wanted to purchase some more Honeycrisp apples from the local apple orchard and we needed a pumpkin for our art lesson later in the week. Since I have been trying to incorporate nature study into our homeschool, I decided that while at the local apple orchard, we would take a walk through the orchard. My husband came home from work before we left so we all headed out for the apple orchard.

The children were far more interested in picking out a pumpkin and looking at the gourds than taking a nature walk but we plodded out to the orchard for a walk anyway. While walking with my children, I asked them if they noticed anything different about the apple trees from the other trees that we studied (oak and maple). One of my children (I think it was my almost teenage daughter) told me that these trees had APPLES on them. Undaunted, I pointed out that the shape of the tree was quite different from others we had studied. We talked about why the trees were so short and the advantages of short apple trees to the orchard's owners.











The children's favorite part of the walk in the apple orchard was racing up and down the large hill.My husband's favorite part was relaxing at the top of the hill after a long day at work.As always, when we venture out for nature study, there were some unexpected delights. I loved seeing this beautiful butterfly eating a rotten apple. It reminded my of being in the Butterfly Garden in Niagara Falls, Canada. Duncan found a goose feather on the ground.

The children all raced up and down the big hill again and again and again. I am thankful for their energy and youthful exuberance.

At the beginning of the path through the orchard, there were some lovely gardens. The flowers were so bright and colorful.While this nature study didn't match the "perfect" nature study in my mind's eye (children clustered around an apple tree eagerly sketching and discussing the differences between the trees that we have studied), we did get out in nature as a family, noticed our surroundings, made some observations, and enjoyed ourselves. Sadly, all of the Honeycrisp apples were already gone but we did get a lovely pumpkin that worked perfectly in our still-life art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment